Has anyone been to Hawaii lately?

Have an opportunity to go to Hawaii, and with options to stay on either Oahu or the big island… thoughts? Seems like the big island would be more scenic, but never been to the islands before. Need to make a call in the next 24 hours or so. Happy to answer questions, and thanks in advance.

Very different experiences.

I have been to both many times, but now my favorite island is Maui (somewhat in between the experiences of Oahu and the Big Island).

Depends very much on what you are looking for (Big Island: adventure, hiking, exploring nature; Oahu: restaurants, beaches, kids).

Very generally, for a first timer, I would probably say Oahu, as you can get a sense of a lot of different aspects of Hawaii. The Waikiki Beach area can be very crowded, but maybe not so much as typical during COVID, and there are other parts of Oahu that are less “touristy”.

The Big Island has so many different aspects, but not “beachy” although lots of nature to enjoy. It’s just a big island. We typically stay on the west side, which has nicer weather and is more developed. Still it takes us a while to get to some parts of the island.

Either way, I think you will love Hawaii. It’s our go-to vacation spot, before kids, when kids were young, and when kids are a bit older.

Thanks Tom. We really enjoy hiking and such, and frankly getting away from the city sounds relaxing, so I think we’re going to spring for the Big Island this time. We’ll be over by Waikoloa on the west side of the island.

The west side of the Big Island generally has good weather with not much rain but some wind. Go to the volcano if they are letting people go; brunch at the Mauna Kea was always a must do; Kona Coffee plantation south of Kona is interesting; and a drive around the island will take you by Parker ranch and through some beautiful countryside to Hilo. We had a condo on Kona for 12 years and I’m pretty familiar with it.

Late response but I have stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani with my kids and they enjoyed it very much.

1 Like

Thanks Paul.

We ended booking at Wailea Beach Resort, mainly since we have not been there before (Grand Wailea many times).

David, looking forward to hearing about your stay and any tips that come out of that. Hope you have a fantastic time!

Great post Mark.
Exactly our experiences in Maui from the food to the sunrise etc…
Adding to your point, at the end of the drive to Hana about 5 mins car ride past the Hana petrol station is a Huli Huli restaurant. Informal Hawaiian plates of moist chicken grilled over wood. They open around noon and make sure you bring cash. Highlight of our drive to Hana.

1 Like

Another late response:

Beach is better at the Grand Wailea vs. Marriott (based on walking past the Marriott). I’ve stayed at the Farimont, Andaz and Grand Wailea. GW was not up to the other two.

1 Like

How was it? Staying there next week. How was it getting into restaurants? I wasn’t able to book many through open table because they were booked out? Better luck just calling the day of when you are a body there to dine?

Any restaurant recs?

We are going next week (Fairmont). We just work with the concierge to get a full slate of reservations. No problems so far.

I’ll look for you Eric! Lol
Your concierge must have more pull than ours as she told me the restaurants aren’t allocating seats for the hotel concierge like they usually do? She said she would do her best when we are there though. If not…just going to go to the ABC store and pick up Cristal and drink on the beach with some snacks! [drinkers.gif]

Is that legal there? [scratch.gif]

No it’s not…so cristal on the lanai! champagne.gif

Currently on the Big island having a great time, but fwiw restaurant capacity is lagging visitors.

Anyone done the Four Wines II snorkeling to Molokini, and if so, thoughts (especially with kids who are not super strong swimmers, but can swim well enough)?

Starting lock in restaurants and activities, but crazy how things are booking up.

I don’t know about that specific vendor, but book the morning trip. The winds can get bad in the afternoon. The snorkeling is usually inside the crater (a trip may go around to the back side too) where it’s relatively calm and protected, at least until the winds pick up. It should be enjoyable with your kids and I suggest you get them used to the snorkel and mask before the trip if they haven’t done it before.

1 Like

Thanks Scott.

It leaves at 7:30 a.m. (returns at 12:30), which is mighty early for the kiddos, but at least they have the afternoon to rest up at the pool.

We did a 7 AM with Trilogy to Molokini. They are fantastic. They also have an 8 AM. They serve breakfast, cinnamon rolls, lunch, open bar and really great tour guides as we sail. Highly recommend. If Kids aren’t strong swimmers they have waist flotation things which are awesome.

David,

How was the Wailea Beach Resort? Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Anyone done any deep sea fishing on Maui or Kauai?

Hi Tom–

WBR was a great stay in Wailea. Walkable to the Shoppes at Wailea and sandwiched between two beaches, Wailea and Ulua. We took our kids who loved the kids pool with two pretty great waterslides, although if going without kids, the adults-only pool looked quite relaxing as well. We didn’t eat on property (except for the Starbucks in the lobby), but the menu for the Roy Yamaguchi flagship restaurant did look promising. Also, when we were there, occupancy was somewhat limited and pool/beach chair reservations were handled via an app which made it super easy vs. getting up early to stake a claim on some chairs. I have a friend that visited a few weeks after we did and he mentioned that they did away with the app; likely because of increased occupancy.

Only downside I’d say is distance to Lahaina and Kanaapali (since we did venture up that way a few times for food and activities), but that’s the price you pay to stay in Wailea. I’d definitely go back

1 Like