Has anyone been to Hawaii lately?

Hi David and thanks!

We rented a cabana by the pool, so we wouldn’t have to deal with chairs, as we saw they did away with chair reservations. Plus, will give my wife and I a nice place to hang out while the kids are in the pool.

We are walking to a few restaurants, but crazy how early some were booked up. May end up at the Yamaguchi restaurant at some point.

We just plan to go to Lahaina one day and walk around and probably eat lunch at Down the Hatch.

Been enough times to Kaanapali and Lahaina.

Tom

Here’s a tip - the new restaurant at Mill House was the best kept secret (and best overall meal) of our entire trip. Highly recommend a patio reservation around sunset (Amex concierge arranged our reso)

1 Like

Hey. What restaurant was that? I googled Mill house restaurant and it is perm. closed. Thanks

Thanks David. Will see if I can get reso on the patio.

Paul, I think it’s Cafe O’Lei at the Mill House.

I just called and left a message, so guessing they are open.

Thanks

There is a Cafe O’lei in Kihei (I think it is the original) if you are staying near Wailea. Nothing fancy about it, but the food can be pretty good depending on what you order. The best dish they make is long braised short rib, imo. They have a sushi bar several days a week, serving mostly Americanized sushi. The Sensei outpost in Kihei is much better for sushi, also imo.

We are staying in Wailea-Makena area. Opinions on best places in the area? Been to MonkeyPod.

Some of our faves include:

Expensive
Ferraro’s (pretty good food, great views)
Mama’s Fish House (maybe 30 minute drive from Wailea)
Humuhumu (nice setting if you can get an outdoor table (in the Grand Wailea); food just okay and pricey; currently closed due to Covid)
Nick’s Fishmarket

Less expensive
Paia Fish Market
Eskimo Candy

Per David’s big rec, we are going to try Cafe O’Lei this trip

Many more popular restaurants are already booked up through June and July, so best not to wait to get reservations.

1 Like

Yeah. Mama’s is sold out for the first week of July that I am there. We are going deep sea fishing the second day there. Hopefully we will catch something. Condo lanai with grill is beachfront, so grilled fresh fish and wine may have to get us through. Such suffering…I don’t know how I survive it all [cry.gif]

Have you eaten at the Restaurant at Hotel Wailea?

Hi really highly recommend ka’ana kitchen at the Andaz. It was our best meal above many of the others listed just above.

Morimoto was my favorite, not sure it’s worth the price, but food was great.

Ka’ana kitchen was great when it was on (and my meal was comped the time it wasn’t).

Monkeypod probably the best outside the resorts.
Has Spago reopened? Closed when I was there in 2019.

Duo in the four seasons wasn’t bad but it’s more steak oriented.

Mamas was not in my top 4 meals. Great views and a fine meal, but not up to the hype.

1 Like

Spago is open.

1 Like