Has Kosta Browne lost their mind?

I have a 2006 that I am afraid to open. The label says 14,9% but do might believe maybe 15,5%. Legend has it they would pick grapes at over 30 brix and ‘adjust’ during fermentation.

When Nico became winemaker and we started to sell barrels to them, we all had lunch and he brought a bottle that was maybe 12,8%. Totally excellent.

It would seem they have drifted back up a tad. Here is my theory: people love to talk about the purity of 12,5% alc wines but in the wine biz you have to ask your self about what people say vs what people do…I think people really like reds between 13,5 and 14,5. Most Burgundians told me they chaptalized to 13 or 13,5…back when they had to learn to water back.

So maybe KB is just moving to the middle.

I have a bunch of California wines from around 2005. Some of them should have 'no open flame ’ signs.

The real question is why a wine from the same vineyard that Knez owned and sold for $48 at release in its last vintage (2014)… and it was meticulously farmed back then… why this wine would cost more than double?

And why cancel their contracts with a lot of smaller wineries, which they did? Cerise is a pretty great vineyard that used to be made by a decent number of small wineries up there. Not it will basically just be KB and Littorai. I like the later but could go for the other guys and their $50 versions!