Has this ISOB/AFWE thing gone a little too far?

The problem is that this group has a mentality of “us vs. them”, and even worse, “wrong vs. right”. After all that’s been said about it, I’m really surprised you would act indignant. There’s absolutely no reason to malign the wines of other producers in order to sell your own. It does no good for the wine business as a whole, and especially not for the regions they come from. Robert Mondavi, unquestionably one of the great wine marketers of all time, must be turning over in his grave.

A much smarter wine person than me said this to me recently when I mentioned that a certain wine was food-friendly: “Most wine goes with food. You’re not really saying anything here.” He was right. IPOB is a lot of rhetoric with very little substance. There are so many far better ways to get their (your) wine sold if they wouldn’t act like they’re better than everyone else. I think it’s very reasonable to find their tactics offensive. But we’ve talked about all of this here before, so I know it probably won’t go anywhere.

I find this whole thread, and the level of irritation at IPOB to be nothing sort of hilarious.

Adam, nice to see you in the “IPOB/AFWE thing hasn’t gone too far” camp! FYI, the old guard can be a little ornery. [wink.gif]

RT

Richard,

The United States is 52nd per capita in wine consumption. If we moved to 26th there would not be enough wine currently made in the world to support that. I’d be sold out, the Peays would be sold out, Raj and Dan Kosta would be sold out. It would be fantastic. We have a lot more to be gained working together than working separately.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Again, somebody takes what I said and goes WAY too far. All I did was use PETA as an exaggerated example of going overboard to deliver a message that would otherwise be popular. As mentioned between the above quoted post and this one, if they didn’t take an “IPOB vs California Cult Wine” (us against them) stance and simply marketed themselves as an alternative they’d have less critics.

That’s all I’m saying. Nowhere did I say IPOB = PETA. Nowhere did I say IPOB = radical terrorists of wine. Please don’t add anything to my statements to make me sound like a radical.

Thank you.

Hi Adam,

Are you up really late or really early?

I am off on vacation this morning. So its kinda early where I am and not as early where I am going.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Perhaps it’s the way you say it that causes this to happen “again.” You set up these comments, and did so again above. You bring the confrontational nature of the relationship into your posts.

Cool. Enjoy your vacation! Don’t let WB threads ruin your mood. :slight_smile:

Ah yes, the cardinal sin, having a point of view.

No worries. I love this shit. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Going back to the original point, I have a question.

Why California? Why not go to Burgundy to make Pinot? It’s naturally and fully ripe at around 12%, wouldn’t that make more sense?

You wanna make all natural Mourvedre? You can do pretty cheap in the Languedoc!

I’m just puzzled by the reason why it has to come from Cali, and not somewhere that the natural point of ripeness occurs at a lower alcoholic potential. Seems more logical, no?

#1 by Volume! As a consumer, my vision of fantastic is somewhat different. [cheers.gif]

RT

funny… IPOB is guilty of the exact same thing.

Nothing has to come from only California, but why not also California? There are several wineries making really good natural wine at a reasonable price there, even if they don’t use that label. Just because the OP doesn’t like a few bottles, doesn’t mean they aren’t good for others’ tastes.

i love this approach. i am all for it. i wish IPOB would adopt it: just because they don’t like a certain style of wine, doesn’t mean it is not balanced.

I very strongly suspect Burgundy labels are not accurate when it comes to alcohol. Regardless I think the issue here was not alcohol but rather probably too much tannin which increases the perception of acid. I think Wes probably hit the nail on the head above. And its not like there aren’t shrill low end burgundies.

Whats wrong with having a strong point of view on something like this? I dont get why everyone has to be open to all styles?

California is not one, uniform place. There are cool climates and warmer climates.

By the way, what is “fully ripe?” How are you defining that?

of course one doesn’t have to be open to all styles. in no way do i believe that. but tone down the marketing machine and let the wines speak for themselves. restrained wines are starting to see greater proliferation on wine lists, in trade publications, and on store shelves- that is a good thing. so pump the brakes on what you perceive to be “balance,” and let the consumers decide for themselves, without having to resort to cheap sales tactics.