Help a newbie with 2016 BDX in the ~$50-$75 range

I totally agree about buying some earlier vintages, and I would include those from the 90s where prices allow (some 95/95/98 are still affordable), as well as some of the “off” vintages like 97 and 07. 02 and particularly 04 are also worth exploring. On the other hand I wouldn’t suggest ignoring 14 and 15 as they will have a short window where they should drink well and give some idea of what incoming Bdx may be like. I think it’s always worthwhile to drink some of the young wines as well as older to get an understanding of the area.

For someone starting to explore Bdx, 06, 08, 09, 10 and 12 are also interesting but could be in a difficult stage to drink now.

1 Like

Another vote for Domaine de Chevalier.
But also:
Meyney
Sociando Mallet
Brane Cantenac
d’Issan

That’s a great strategy, but before you buy recent stuff based on what wines you liked from past vintages, double-check whether anything about that Chateau has changed, in particular whether they brought in a new consultant or changed ownership, or even the modified the cepage. Lots of change going on now. For example, a 2000 Figeac may not taste anything like a 2016 Figeac.

1 Like

Unlike Howard, I don’t think it would be foolish to buy these wines “now,” but it would be ill-advised if you are looking for something to drink in the near term. While they might be fun to drink in the year or so after delivery, they are soon going to go round the far side of the moon, out of contact for a decade at least and perhaps much more. If you are buying to lay them down for the fairly distant future, buying them early can be smart.

I also wonder whether “now” should mean right now, on futures. I am not really in touch with the 2016 market, but I doubt you will achieve any real savings by buying them now as opposed to waiting for them to be delivered in a couple of years.

As for specific wines, I leave that to others to advise. I bought only 3 (Calon, GPL, and Domaine de Chevalier) and only to ensure I could get them in 375 format. I have no idea whether they are your the strike zone.

If you want something to drink now and experiment with, I agree that 1999, 2001, and 2004 are likely better choices, and that you can get many 2014s off the shelves now for laying down at a price that probably is as good if not better than what comparable 2016s will bring. The 2014 Grand Puy Lacoste remains a really good value I think

To be clear, I am not suggesting that nobody buy Bordeaux futures or even that younger people should not buy Bordeaux futures. That would be hypocritical as I bought my first Bordeaux futures (1981 Ducru) when I was 27. But, the OP says he is pretty new to Bordeaux. Don’t you think he should get some idea of what he likes - does he like left bank or right bank, more traditional styled Bordeaux or Rolland specials, etc., etc., etc., before tying his money up in wine he won’t be drinking for 10-15 years. How can you learn more about Bordeaux when the wines you are buying cannot be drunk yet? I mean, if he also is buying Bordeauxs to drink now, I guess I don’t care that much (although the traditional vs. modern split is still important), but I don’t know how one can learn about any wine region by just looking at wine bottles.

Which is why I suggested that it might make sense to wait until the wines are delivered. I don’t think you’ll save big bucks buying futures on these wines, and waiting will allow you to drink a bottle or three before laying things down.

And the truth is, there is only so much you can do about projecting into the future. Even if he drank aged vintages now, there is no way to be sure that the Monbousquet he loves now will be adored in 15 years. It is, to a degree, a gamble either way. A few well-chosen 2016s laid down “now” would likely be a welcome treat in 20, when buying them on the street will be both expensive and risky.

I’m going to change my suggestion. Forget wine, drink whiskey. You can drink now and later.

too lazy to read through all of the replies, but even in “off” vintages for the LB, I’ve always found great consistency in quality from Talbot

First time poster here, but been lurking for about a month. Just finished building out a wine cellar in my basement and along the lines of the initial poster, am looking to get into some BDX.

Really appreciate the info so far, so much good information for what is an overwhelming subject for someone just jumping in. The list below was compiled from information above, and what is available at my local Total Wine (which has a surprisingly good selection of BDX).

Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot St Emilion, 2014 x 6
Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot St Emilion, 2010 x 5
Domaine De Chevalier Pessac Leognan, 2005 x 4
Domaine De Chevalier Pessac Leognan, 2014 x 4
Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste Pauillac, 2000 x 4

I figure this gives me a good mix of wines I can drink now, as well as begin to start cellaring some away (which is my goal of the whole thing, add new vintages every year so that in 10-15 years I’ve got a nice little collection going, I’m mid 30s if that matters). I view this as a starter of sorts, and if I like the 2000 /2005s, I can start getting a bit more serious.

Thanks!

Sorry but I do not agree Howard. While you and I might prefer older Bordeaux, that is not to everyone’s taste. A lot of people like and enjoy young wines.

Perhaps you might share what style you want in your wine? Some of the wines posters in this thread have recommended some very good suggestions. Although in the Left Bank, I would focus on Saint Estephe, Saint Julien and Pessac Leognan, generally speaking, especially in your price range.

You will find more to choose from in your price range in Saint Emilion, Cotes de Bordeaux and even a few from Pomerol.

This might help… 2016 Bordeaux Wine Buying Guide Top 600 Wines Tasting Notes, Ratings

Grand Puy Ducasse

I do think that your palate now is relevant, as opposed to how it will evolve. When I first started drinking Bordeaux back in the 80’s it was just another red wine to me, and I was splashing down 82 first growths like a fish while my friends were questioning me for spending $25 + on a bottle of wine. But, I loved those wines back then! I started really buying and storing with the 2000 vintage. Then as the opportunity availed itself I back filled 89’s, 90’s, 91’s, 95’s, 96’s, 98’s. I find my own taste has evolved toward older bottles in many varietals. In fact I haven’t opened any of my premium bottles from 2000 yet. Understand that cellaring is a double edged sword… at 62 I see myself not really buying a lot more bordeaux unless I am thinking of my son. If you are truly aging these wines, you are getting into significant numbers of bottles. If you have varied tastes and are going high end cabs, barolo and getting into Rhone varietals here and abroad… they all age well if you develop an appreciation for older wines. And, Burgundies… the Loire…Spanish wines… these are altogether another entire story. I remember wanting a cellar cabinet with a 200 bottle capacity… and my wife and then infant son both laughed at me and made me buy a cabinet 2-3 x that size. Now that cabinet stands next to one wall in a basement room over run with boxes, racks, shelves, and a refrigerator for the whites, bubbles and rose we might drink in the near future. Wine can be a passion, and also an addiction… when you start thinking serious cellaring do the math and determine exactly how long term you want to commit yourself, and precisely how much space it will require. Especially if your wine interests reach in multiple directions.

Another key thought process is to consider which wines are actually age-worthy, and don’t get too deep into wines that are affordable because they are interesting but perhaps not long term stunners. I know people who went out and bought wines in great numbers because they tasted great at a tasting in the moment, and they found themselves with a cellar full of mediocre wines that fell apart with age. I find that every wine that is great and cellars well… those are what you want in modest numbers to capture verticals… but if you are buying wide ranging verticals in numerous age worthy wines by the case annually, that ends up being literally thousands of bottles of wine over time. Just saying that you might want to focus on specific Chateau and vineyards that you consider personal favorites amongst a broader selection of varietals (Cabernet, Bordeaux, Barolo, Cabernet Franc from both US and Loire, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Riojas, certain field blends and zinfandels, CNdP, Hermitage, burgundy, Pinot, Champagne, Alsace, Port… ) and limit your names and vintages to smaller numbers that can be aged in a reasonable space. If you carefully limit yourself it still winds up being a lot. And, realize you will always be susceptible to enjoying pop and pours, and don’t take wine SO VERY SERIOUSLY… enjoy it.

Ultimately, my suggestion is go get a few really great aged bottles, and then ask yourself whether you think your taste is going to head that way (wines with age)… in multiple varietals. If yes… focus on really good stuff. If you taste them and realize that in certain varietals you don’t like them aged, stand by your tastes and don’t age those wines. Drink them earlier! It is what you like! Unfortunately, and with multiple exceptions, really expensive wines are actually expensive because they are really good.

I like the suggestions to buy aged wines. I would also buy some young wines, probably '15s, to see if you have a preference.

For specifics, I’ve seen a lot of back vintage Bernadotte and Lanessan on the market for reasonable prices. They’re nice wines.

Pichon Lalande’s second wine, Reserve de la Comtesse
Cantemerle (below your price range, but very much worth buying)
Montrose’s second, La Dame de Montrose

Bought; (MOST IN 3 LT & MAGS)
16 Figeac
Brane Cantenac
LL CASES
LABEGORE
FLEUR CARDINALE
L POYFERRE
DUHART MILON ROTHSCHILD
MALESCOT ST EXUPERY
PAVIE-MACQUIN
GRAND PUY-LACOSTE
[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

PS THINKING OF SON/DAUGHTERS, SONS IN LAW & GRAND KIDS ~!

Chateau D’Armailhac, Cantenac Brown, Kirwan, D’Issan, Langoa Barton, Alter Ego de Palmer.

Not clear where your palate is (you’re heading to Bdx from Cali it seems).
I subscribe to the wine equivalent of dollar cost averaging, strong vintage is chance to bottom feed, Medoc etc.
In Paulliac, Batailley is always correct and good value if you are very patient. D’Armailhac also good in the affordable category.
But I’d agree with those suggesting picking up some older Vintages to get a feel for what you like.
The wines you cite used to be (relatively) value bottles but no longer. They are excellent but not cheap.
In the more expensive categories the suggestions already given here are all good.

Solid. I own all of these.