Help a newbie with 2016 BDX in the ~$50-$75 range

Perhaps you might share what style you want in your wine?

Duh.

I was hoping someone would get to that.

The OP now has a completely random and useless list of wines, which he could have found just by looking at Google.

He likes CA Cab, which I assume would mean Napa. Or he liked it and now he doesn’t like it any more. Not exactly clear. So does he want something that might resemble it in ripeness, oak, structure? Maybe point him to St Emilion? Forget about whether a wine is mostly Merlot or Cab - most people couldn’t tell the difference two times out of ten and most of the wines discussed are going to be blends of varying percentages.

Or does he want something that’s more tannic and tough and astringent than the CA wines he’s been drinking?

And what are some of those wines anyway?

Rather than simply generate a list of random wines, which most of these threads tend to do, it might be useful for the OP to mention whether he likes wines younger or older, tannic or softer, etc. If he’s trending towards Bordeaux, he must have had a bunch of them to make a statement like that - so what might those be? He bought Lynch-Bages and Pontet-Canet - is that because he likes them or just read about them and thought that’s what he’s supposed to like?

And what are the Napa wines he no longer likes? Some info like that might result in a more useful group of wines.

2016 specifically? Pavie Macquin and Larcis Ducasse have the highest scores in that price range.

Cantemerle and Gloria are good options

He says in the OP that he has very little knowledge of or experience with Bordeaux wines. I don’t know how he’s supposed to know what style he wants. Trying a bunch of random wines that Bordeaux drinkers like actually seems (to me, anyway) like a pretty good approach to begin to learn and gain experience.

That’s true Doug, but then how does he even know that he’s “trending towards more Bordeaux-like”? Maybe if he simply described what that meant to him, it would be easier to hit that target.

OTOH if he’s simply interested in trying random Bordeaux just to see if he’s interested, I completely agree with you - dive in and try a few. Remember those he likes and those he hates and go from there. But rushing out to buy Cantenac Brown because some random guy on a wine board said to isn’t going to be any better than simply walking into Total Wine and picking at random based on price. (Although IMHO he would do well to pick C-B.)

Did you even read my post 25? Or do you just find it necessary to disagree with everything everyone writes?

Well that’s annoying, had all these queued up to buy at TotalWine and was going to pick them up, when I get the message that they’ve removed the 2000 and 2005 vintages from my order since they didn’t actually have them? Defeats the purpose of the order since those were the ones I actually wanted to drink now…

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.