Help me build a mixed case of vintage 2000 Bordeaux: UPDATE 4/3/18

Please help me understand the purpose and intent of this post. It offers nothing to the conversation and gives the appearance of being dick like in nature.

What am I missing, why did you post this?

Hi Robert, here is what I bought. Very happy with all of them

Calon Segur
Leoville Barton
Haut Bailly
Pontet Canet
Lynch Bages
Grand Puy Lacoste
Malescot St Exupery
du Tetre

Brodie

I bought several 2000’s. My vote goes to Montrose and Palmer. I ended up buying Ausone for my anticipated retirement party. The “kids tables” get to settle for Cheval Blanc.

Had a 1998 a few months ago. It was too young. Do not open.

[ResizeableImage=][/ResizeableImage]

No surprise. Anything from 1989 and later still needs time IMO.

I would recommend the 2000 Hosanna, which I had a bottle of just a couple of weeks ago. Lovely wine with that foresty, earthy Pomerol character; feminine in style; threads the needle between being modernist while not being over the top. WineSearcher shows that JJ Buckley has a few in stock

Just to pile on - pichon baron, montrose, d’issan and gpl are all great. I would add Ducru Beacaillou to the list as well.

How is 2000 Figeac drinking! Conseillante is gorgeous, will have to be on my list. Looks like I need two mixed cases.

Lots of great recs here. Depending on budget limits, I’d second the du Tertre in 2000. Lagune is quite good in 2000 too, and I’m sure the 2000 Magdelaine is stellar (I own but haven’t tried yet) if requiing another 10+ years.

One thing I’ve noticed: auction prices on 2000 Bordeaux (and all Bordeaux pre-2006) are up a lot in the last 2-3 years, maybe even 25-35%.

Here is a short list I’d recommend to start with (which many posters above have mentioned as well):
Leoville Barton
Leoville Poyferre
Malescot St Exupery
Smith Haut Lafitte
Pichon Baron

Ugh! That’s about 4 times what I paid for it en primeur. Too bad I only have 3 left.

This brings back memories of haunting Costco looking for the latest cases of 2000 that would arrive periodically.

Look forward not backward! I can more readily afford the $100 of today compared to the $25 of then. I had babies to feed!!!

Forgot Talbot

Don’t think you are missing anything. You have hit the nature of most of his posts.

I would skip the 2000 Figeac. In 2012, Panos organized a large tasting of Figeac in DC with the then manager of the estate. Lots of fabulous wines, love the style of the wines tasted. But, the 2000 was not one of the better wines, at least at the time. You can find a thread on this tasting - search for Panos, Figeac and Howard.

2000 Figeac is quite green, even to the point where I feel that the wines are a tad underripe, and you know how I feel about Figeac. The wine which I think would work given your palate is the Pichon Lalande .

my first en primeur!

not the sexiest zip code but i thought la vieille cure from fronsac did well in 2000, as did sociando which you already highlighted. i would also add la lagune.

for my taste though i thought pichon baron, lynch bages, and ducru beaucaillou owned the vintage along with chateau margaux.

as others have already mentioned, figeac is/was underwhelming. that bottle is always ready for a st. paddy’s day party.

I want to thank everyone for the contributions. I have an excellent short list to work from! This Board is the best.

Pichon Lalande is terrific in 2000, and one of the best examples of a cab franc rich Bordeaux I have ever had. I would compare it to a bigger, deeper, more complex version of the 2000 Sociando Mallet in terms of having a “green” quality that is rich and interesting. Alfert would probably love it.

I think now that 2000 is waking up, it is turning out to live up to the critics initial hype, after many years in slumber that caused some to lose faith. Some of the “smaller” 2000s are starting to hit their early peak now. Had an amazing 2000 Grand Mayne the other day. The super seconds probably still need a few years though.

Problem is, prices have been increasing for the vintage…