Help me Redesign my Kitchen

I completely agree re drawers for below counter except we lucked into the need for a small filler and ended up with a thin, tall cabinet next to the range which is perfect for sheet pans.

Bluestar open burners and separate electric oven stack would be my first choice. Though i would consider induction as well.

No opinion on spice drawer. I have a spice cabinet right next to the range hood and that works great for me

Spices are best stored in cool, dark places. Not sure right beneath burners would qualify…

Cook at the Hyeholde, as I recall??

We went from tile floor to wood and my 60 year old back is very thankful. We did have gel mats for the tile but wood is still more forgiving.

Oh sure - we also have a dedicated sheet pan space (not a cabinet, just an open rectangular slot that fits up to a full sheet) in between the wood storage and the monster combi oven.

Hyeholde? Jesus, no. I think I went there once though. Cooked at a long defunct restaurant on Craig St then took my talents to Boston after college and did a 3-month stage at No. 9 Park with Barbara Lynch.

Looking at oven stacks. Definitely interested in a combi-oven and thinking about a double wall oven with plumbed water line and a chamber vac and warming drawer if it fits below.

All the Miele stuff is 24”. Which means half sheet pan is the max. Don’t have wall space for 36” bit can do 30’s and wondering if I should do a 24” combi up top with a trim kit and a 30” below or just buy into 24”. Thoughts?

Thinking that we are definitely going with The Galley for the sink/workspace. 5’ with double faucets. Anyone have one of these?

24" is small to me. At my old NY apartment, I had double wall ovens which were 24" and a regular under-stove oven which was 36". I was stymied more often than not by things not fitting in the wall ovens, and eventually stopped using them at all unless I needed to do two things at the same time at different temperatures.

That said, I highly recommend a combi-oven and have a strong preference for one that is plumbed in. Our old one was a Gaggeneau, which was all there was on the market at the time for plumbed in home models - that was back in 2005 or so. Chamber vacs can be very, very heavy so keep that in mind if you’re putting it in a drawer. It’s doable - we did it - but it took some special design.

We have 27" double wall oven with a warming drawer which seems a good size, have never had anything not fit. We get a ton of use out of the warming drawer, though I wish it opened slightly deeper as you have to tilt a half sheet to get it in.
Other things I really like in my kitchen:
separate full-size fridge and freezer
Full-size cabinet under my main prep area with 5 vertical slots for cutting boards, sheet pans, wire racks, etc
A pullout pantry-type area next to the range-top area where I store vinegars, high-temp cooking oils, soy sauce, etc. Easy access and everything is visible.
A narrow full-height pullout pantry for all sorts of canned and packaged things - again, visibility!
Pot-filler, of course.
Drawers are great HOWEVER things can get lost in them easily if they are too deep, we use cabinet with just shelves for baking supplies as they are stacked and we can choose what we need by looking without rooting around.

Wish I had a second sink in the kitchen.
Second dishwasher would be nice, though having an extra sink in a nearby butler’s pantry or mudroom (what I have) can at least function as a place to put extra dirty dishes until the dishwasher frees up.

In my tiny kitchen days, dirty dishes went straight into the bathtub during dinner parties. Just had to be sure to keep the shower curtain closed.

The better tactic is to just throw them into a roaring blaze in the fireplace

Don’t have a Galley brand sink but I know several people that do and they love them.

We opted for 30” double wall ovens, great for access and avoids the bending over to look in. We skipped the warming drawer, both ovens and be set to a warm function, 180-200 deg typically is what I use. We have a 36” wide cooktop and a long shallow drawer just below, great for cooking utensils, followed with two deep drawers for pots and pans.

For out sink we have a 36” wide farmhouse style.

Drawer type microwave under the countertop in our island, only used to minor heating.

Other cabinets included one above the ovens for sheet pans, have another below the counter in my prep area with cutting boards.
6FE7DA88-509A-4ECA-BFE9-F055BDE34AFF.jpeg

Don’t be embarrassed about having a microwave, they are incredibly useful! What’s better than 3 min microwaved corn on the cob? flirtysmile

I’ve never tried corn on the cob but I find it invaluable for tasks such as melting chocolate, softening ice cream, boiling water…

Our Miele microwave (combo w convection oven) is excellent when I need a quick defrost (in master chef auto mode with settings for different foods). Doubles up as warming drawer as well as second oven of course. Don’t do much (or any, really) microwave cooking but this is used a lot as 1. Second oven, 2 warming drawer. 3. Fast defrost 4. Coffee reheating , in that order.

I have to check but I’m fairly sure wider than 24”. I’m thinking 30”. Only size issue is the depth of the main oven you can’t fit 2 full size baking trays in on one shelf side be side as they have to go in width-wise if you follow. But the convection works well with three shelves.

It’s actually shockingly good (why didn’t someone tell me this before?). Fresh corn, don’t shuck it, nuke it in for 3 min, then peal the husk back, smear on some butter, a bit of salt and enjoy!

Sorry for the thread drift lol.

Choice of Floor? Rest of house is narrow oak hardwood stained dark.

That’s what we have, and my wife wanted to coninue oak into the kitchen like our neighbors did in a recent remodel. I persuaded her to go with strand bamboo, which is based on bamboo, but really a composition flooring. It is harder than most hardwood, has enough give to be comfortable, and forgiving with dropped dishes. I’m extremely pleased with the choice. There are huge variations in the quality of bamboo floors, so chose the top grade. The materials cost is relatively minor compared to prep and installation.

Duplicate