Help needed building a cellar

Looks great - I really like it. The Trusscore is a good idea for a utilitarian cellar.

I also like the key code lock. I may have to install one in my cellar.

Stephan - I might have missed it but what are the ā€œtubesā€?

Thanks.

1 Like

Looks like some type of plastic drain pipe cut to length.

This reminds me, I need to put a door on my cellar, finally.

Great work!

Did you glue the tubes to each other?

Looks like - Advanced Drainage Systems 4 in. x 10 ft. Corrugated Solid Drainage Pipe

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-4-in-x-10-ft-Triplewall-Pipe-Solid-4550010/100135310?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=Shopping-RM-F_DYNM-G-D26P-026_007_PLUMB_REPAIR-ADVANCED_DRAINAGE_SYSTEMS-NA-NA-SMART-NA-RMP-MK482193326_9016773043_FY22_781&cm_mmc=Shopping-RM-F_DYNM-G-D26P-026_007_PLUMB_REPAIR-ADVANCED_DRAINAGE_SYSTEMS-NA-NA-SMART-NA-RMP-MK482193326_9016773043_FY22_781-71700000090194813-58700007647721096-92700069153667985&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg_iTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5j43Y53qr_rtBInJz9G4vJOSTrnkdFY5du6MiufcloOLFWaz08UIGQaArTwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks all!
Appreciate the comments.
Mike is right, they are from Home Depot. Pretty sure mine were 8ft and I had to cut them to 2ft. Iā€™ve had them for years so I canā€™t remember.
They are not glued together as thereā€™s some 2x6 on each side and with the weight of the bottles, they are not going anywhere!

Since Iā€™ve installed the door, the temp has been at a steady avg 54 deg with 77% humidity.
We will see what the summer gets me.

Stephen, Iā€™m looking at using the same tubes from Home Depot for my (soon to be constructed) cellar.

When you constructed your tube-based racking, did you lay the tubes level with the floor? Or did you tilt up the front edge slightly? How stable do the wines seem in their tubes? Iā€™m wondering if a slight tilt would help retain the wine better. On the other hand, a tilt might just be an unnecessary complication and mess up the front edge of the rack.

Any tips on cutting tubes, or anything you learned in building the rack that you wish you had known at the start? Thanks!

In the process of building an actively controlled cellar. I think Iā€™m on the right path in regards to how to treat concrete walls but wanted to get a sanity check from others who have been down this road.

Iā€™m currently planning on insulating the concrete walls with EPS rigid foam board (shiny side facing concrete) then installing furring strips to mount Sheetrock to.

The question is in regards to the need for a vapor barrier on the concrete wall (the wall is sealed already if that matters). Would I put a vapor barrier under the furring strips? or not at all? I will of course be installing a vapor barrier in the 2 new stud walls and ceiling but was uncertain about the concrete. A wine rack design firm told me it wouldnā€™t be necessary but just wanted to check with the hive first.

The other thing I could do is build a 2x4 stud wall with a 1 inch air gap between the stud wall and the concrete wall and put a vapor barrier on the side facing the concrete. I didnā€™t really want to lose the additional inches in doing this but if this is better option Iā€™m certainly open to it.

Thanks to anyone with experience or recommendations!