Help with steak house wine list

Also another vote for the 2001 Faustino I. Not a horrible price. Traditional rioja, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Every wine list sin in one example.

I hate them and their ass face!

Drink beer

???

1010 BV “Tapestry Reserve” 2010 Red Bordeaux Blend California, Napa Valley $375 Bottle

916 BV “Tapestry Reserve” 2012 Red Bordeaux Blend California, Napa Valley $88 Bottle

???

Yeah, the els is quite tasty.

Ste. Michelle Cold Creek Merlot
Tikal Patriota

Both good selections.

That’s always the issue I have with younger restaurant list wines. I have been known to go in in the afternoon just to buy the bottle and have them stick it in a decanter for dinner.

Ha! That’s exactly what I was going to mention. WTF??

Even if that was the BV Georges…$375 is still a huge WTF.

Ruth’s Chris has been dead to me since they moved their corporate offices to Orlando after Katrina. I have been told that was 2-300 jobs the left NOLA in that time of great need.

I used to be a big fan after a robust after-hours encounter once in their Mobile restaurant.

Some of the Ruth’s Chris in NJ allow wine with a corkage, guess it must be a local decision.

I personally would go elsewhere to avoid a list that bad, if I couldn’t bring my own wine. Half the experience of a good dinner out, to me, is having a good wine to pair with the meal. That said, everybody has their favorites and if this is a place you like to go, and you plan to order wine, I would go with the Swanson Merlot or the Allegrini Palazzo della Torre. Both of them are well overpriced, but not expensive in the grand scheme of things, and both are decent.

The customer, not the cow, is getting slaughtered for dinner at that place.

Pretty pricey list. I would consider the 2012 Freemark Abbey CS as a good bet without breaking the bank…if you’re planning on red meat for dinner.

I love Doc.

You know that big dude has some great stories dying to come out!

The Sassicaia '13 is a great wine and was surprisingly open last I tried it, but like the rest of the list it’s rather overpriced.

Not the worst list I have ever seen until you go to the right side of the page. The pricing is gouging. Some of the markups are 4 times. Rarely see that. To me, I wouldn’t even go there. Not a fan of Ruth Chris anyhow and with such a poor wine list, it would be difficult. The only decent deals I saw were Oregon Pinots but even they weren’t really high quality Pinots.

2012 Musar definitely not released. Could be the Hochar Pere et Fils which is normally out 2-3 years before the main red. The main red is on 2009 (and also a late release of 2006) at the moment.

Anselmi San Vincenzo is good & interesting and although relatively highly marked up would still appeal, though you risk Barry Paul Price storming into the restaurant to berate you if you have it with steak [wink.gif]

The 2001 Faustino would have been an ideal choice, but 88 bucks is laughing at you as they rifle your wallet.

I suspect Torbreck the Struie might not be as badly marked up as many, but I’m not really a Torbreck fan.

Allegrino Palazzo delle Torre isn’t a wine I particularly like, but should be a good steak match and isn’t too badly marked up. Would probably be my choice, based on a good steak match & relative value.

That was my take. The list is rapacious, unimaginative, and has bad wines at worse prices. The ones that are okay wines are less than 300% markups are poor vintages, like the 2011 Condado de Haza and the 2013 Colombo Terres Brullees Cornas. Each of the three prior vintages are superior, and they’re still charging $130 for a $45 bottle of Cornas.

Really bad stuff.

Drink some single malt.

my thought too, there were quite a few I would drink. the mark-up is fairly obscene, but not uncommon in the big steakhouse environment

It may not be one of the worst lists I’ve ever seen, but certainly one of the most predictable and consistently overpriced.

Given the list at this restaurant I’d probably not care, going with Dante’s inscription over the gates of hell: Abondon all hope, ye who enter.

On second thought, if you’re having white just order the linguine and clams!