Help with steak house wine list

This list is an example of one of the reasons I rarely go to steakhouses.

[basic-smile.gif]

I realize most people who go to a steak house won’t order a rosé wine, but my gawd that list of rosé wines is pathetic.

Bruce

Same old list of dishes everywhere (steak, creamed spinach, hash browns, cheesecake), plus rude service, loud Yabba-Dabba-Doo bro’s at surrounding tables, and a wine-based wallet emasculation.

The Heitz 2011 Cab could be a smart choice, otherwise the Allegrini Palazzo is a safe inexpensive option.

I don’t know if this RC location allows corkage. We will be arriving by boat after a day fishing so sourcing and bringing bottles does not appeal to me. A few months ago we took a bottle of Louis Latour to go and they said they were required to open the bottle before we left. I thought that was strange, but we went with it. The Musar is Hochar if I remember correctly.

At other RC we have been to in the past year we have snagged 2001/2002 Grange for under $300 and 1996 Monte Bello for $275. We earn a crazy amount of RC gift cards each year so this is our go to restaurant in places like Myrtle Beach.

I would just have a martini…

Only with a grant of full transactional immunity.

Didn’t know that, doc. Dead to me now too (although I probably haven’t been in one since Katrina anyway. Way too many better steak places, and I rarely eat steak out anyway)

I don’t remember the last time I was at a Ruth’s Chris and don’t really plan on going any time soon. If I ever get a hankering for a real steak, I’m glad I have a butcher shop/steakhouse in my town that is byob. neener

Hi Jason,

According to the wine list, this location is in Myrtle Beach?
I’ve eaten at that location and they allow corkage. Actually, never been to Ruth’s Chris that did not allow corkage (perhaps in Colorado). It’s been awhile but remember being $25 (or something like that). If they don’t allow it, drive 10 minute south and check out New York Prime on 28th Ave.

Not sure if you were looking for this answer.

That was my guess as well. Otherwise it’s the only wine on the list that isn’t ridiculously overpriced.

I don’t know why you have to get wine. Beer or a cocktail is clearly the way to go based on that list.

Pellegrino w lime?

Exactly!

Bar fight?

If I’m eating a steak I need a red wine. Preferably a Barolo or Bordeaux with age on it but I want wine, not beer or cocktails. The list presented here is not great but I’d still order a red wine to go with my steak.

Agree and it looks like the Musar (even if a “second” label) is one of the better options.

I’d go with a bottle of the Sandi Chard or Argyle sparkling for white.
Then I’d prob go BV GdL if I wanted to “splurge”, otherwise Stags Leap Investor, Mt. Redon CdP or Codoulet if pinching.

Quick side question. Would it be a good idea to try the Hochar and get a cheaper sense of what types of flavors I may find in Musar?