HORL - knife sharpener - Made in Germany

Mine arrived today, looking forward to giving it a spin (err, roll…).

Let us know what you think after trying it out Alex.

Will do

Mine arrived yesterday. First, it is a beautiful product and is designed incredibly well. It comes with a card that appears to bear the genuine signatures of the father and son team behind it. Please trust me, I would not let it’s outward appearance affect my appraisal of its performance. It takes some patience. I found that on my three workhorse globals, three minutes of honing with the diamond side and then about thirty seconds of the de-burring edge got the job done. The results are without a doubt the best I have ever achieved at home. Granted, I have never invested in a top notch stone set. That said, I could not be happier.

I ordered from Amazon and I am very happy with the results.

I bought one as well and while I need to actually sit and sharpen some of my better knives, I tested it out on a crap knife I keep around and it was tomato slicing sharp after using this. So far, so good.

Just got mine as well.

How do you quantify the level of sharpness?

I ordered one. I have Shun knives angle is at 16 degrees this is at 15 degrees, any concerns?

That’s okay.

This was my concern as well…ensuring that it wouldn’t be an issue with my gyuto

1 Like

Thanks

Any more reviews? I’m considering one of these.

I have been happy with it. Easy to use, and it does work. My knifes were somewhat neglected so the first session required about 5 min per side. It take some practice to roll the cylinder back and forth against the knife with even strokes. I sent them some tweaks I would do to the design but I am a satisfied customer.

Used this last night at a friend’s house and was surprised how much I liked it. Works as good as a diamond steel without having to worry about the angles, it will remove steel from your knife. Simple to use and a great way to maintain a knife edge.

Wusthof knives are 14-degree angle per side, while Henckels are 15.

My knife lady, who uses an Edge Pro, is thinking about retiring so I might have to look into this…

1 Like

I wouldn’t use this sharpener for most traditional Japanese kitchen knife blades which have a wide bevel on one side and a flat or slightly hollow face on the other side so aren’t sharpened symmetrically. Japanese blades made in the Western style should be fine, though.

Anyone worried about keeping an original, not 15 degree bevel angle can slip a thin shim under one end of the blade holding block to give it the right amount of corrective tilt.

1 Like

For the people who have it are you still liking it? Thanks I’m interested in getting one.

Yes. Very much. Without a doubt.

1 Like

Has anybody been able to buy the Horl three wheel set in America?

Amazon Germany won’t ship to me and Amazon USA doesn’t list it!