HORL - knife sharpener - Made in Germany

The extra fine wheels were hard to get delivered to the USA.

I got the entire set at www.Porzellantreff.de

P.S. the German family company HORL from the black forrest has updated their knife sharpener and made it even better with 3 new versions.

HORL 2 Rollschleifer
HORL 2 Cruise Rollschleifer (cheaper model)
HORL 2 Pro Rollschleifer

Looks like a cheaper copycat (being advertised on Instagram):

2 Likes

Ouch!

Fair to say my wife always says that a knock-off is a compliment for the designer, as we have seen many knock-offs over the years regarding our chairs by Herman Miller Knoll.

On the other hand this little company in the black forrest will be not amused to see it I guess.

I love our HORL.

This may be placebo talk, but I think our edges hold better with HORL.

Looks like they are begging for a patent infringement case.

1 Like

I haven’t yet looked, but it’s interesting that the Tumbler link says “Exclusively in the United States”. Patent rights are country/territory specific, so Horl would not have any means to protecting their design unless they have at least a pending patent in the US.

They now have a new version horl 2 (139.00)

I am very happy with my HORL 2. It took a bit of getting used to, but once I did, I have found it fast and easy to use. Plus it puts a really nice edge on even the cheap blades that I have. My only somewhat decent quality knife holds its edge for quite a long time when I sharpen with this. The electric sharpener that I used to use was not a whole lot faster, and it took off an excessive amount of material for less-good results.

Oh boy, I literally JUST bought an electric sharpener today (Work Sharp Culinary E2) and now you have me worried - what electric sharpener do you have? I love my knife so I don’t want to take away excess material

This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-AngleSelect-Sharpener-20-Degree-100-Percent/dp/B001CA5LZ6/ref=asc_df_B001CA5LZ6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198090821251&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17496432867766888991&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001853&hvtargid=pla-349431367159&psc=1

Yours looks pretty similar in design. I’ve never used one, so I have no idea how it compares functionally.

1 Like

so you think I should bail on my electric and get this, apparently - much more expensive but I love the knife so I want to preserve it as long as possible

If I had a knife that I loved (and I plan on getting something nice when the budget allows), I would. What this system does seems very similar to a set of stones, without requiring the skill to use the latter.

1 Like

Once again, freakin’ Wine Berserkers making me spend MORE MONEY!

I can relate!

I had something similar before but now am learning straight whetstones. Its strangely therapeutic, highly recommend it!
Still too shy to use them on my Japanese supersteels, but for basic beater knives its fun.

1 Like

Worth it, big time.

What a spectacular system, truly.

3 Likes

Quite a review - succinct and impactful. You’re the anti-Suckling.

Best compliment I’ve received all month.

There’s something truly satisfying with using the Horl 2 - the quality of the product build just feels right in your hand, you know it’s precision engineered, gives one a confidence in the results even before checking the results. Similar to the feeling you get when using The Durand, but has this heft to it as well.

Better?