Houston Texas

A couple of comments …

We were charged $25 a bottle for corkage at Uchi Houston a few weeks ago.

We were charged the $15 corkage fee at Underbelly earlier this week, even though we also bought a bottle off the list and shared tastes of the bottle we brought with both the wine guy and our server.

To be clear, I’m not complaining as I welcome the opportunity to drink wines from my cellar with great food - a rarity in TX. Just a heads up that experiences may differ.

Went to Underbelly last night. Was not charged corkage (oversight?). Interesting list and most of the markups were so low, however, that next time I probably won’t bother. The food was mostly good. The service was amateurish - a stark contrast to the great service at Uchi (once you get a table). I don’t think my server had tried a single thing on the menu. She gave virtually no guidance and when she did, she was mostly wrong. Dishes were brought out in no particular order and many times I had to yell at the food runner who had quickly made it halfway across the dining room just to find out what each dish was. Hopefully that gets better.

I could have been wrong about Uchi’s corkage, I feel like I’ve been telling people it was $25 when I posted $20…but we went the first week they were open so things could have changed.

As far as Underbelly, we were very regular customers at Catalan and the GM/sommelier recognized us, there might be some preferential treatment there. We’re going with a large-ish group tomorrow with several bottles from home, we’ll see how we get treated.

Ate at Underbelly for lunch the other day. I thought it was crazy good and we had great service. I could not believe the wine prices. High end and boutique wines at basically retail price. Briefly looked at the half bottles that looked good too.

J

Last night at Underbelly we were charged full corkage on 6 bottles ($90) even when the GM told me if we shared our wine with him he’d waive the fees. The food was good, but it came out way too fast, before we had even finished our pre-dinner whites. Service was a little iffy, the server kept trying to get us to order more and then suddenly decided we had ordered too much and cut our order when she got to the kitchen. This may not be the best restaurant for parties larger than 4, it was absolutely perfect when it was just 2 of us.

Does anyone know of any bottle specials in Houston right now? Like 1/2 off on Monday nights or anything?

I should have posted it when the deal was active, but we’re using our Groupon at Lucio’s tonight. Haven’t been in quite a while, I hope their standards are still high.

Updated my list.

We’re relative frequent visitors of 13 Celsius, but yesterday was the first time we’ve gone on a Sunday. For those who don’t know, they used to advertise that all of their by-the-glass wines that were open on Sunday were half off. This was still true yesterday.

We got
NV Domaine Sorin Vin Mousseaux Rose - $6
2009 Nicolas Joly Savennières Roche aux Moines Clos de la Bergerie - $8
20?? Lucques (Wind Gap) Grenache Blanc - $7.50
20?? Azienda Agricola Cos Ramí Sicilia IGT - $7.50

Lots of things I wanted to try, but we had an appointment at the Museum for the James Turrell exhibit.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Underbelly. Are the wine prices still as good as they once were?

What is this thing about getting free corkage if you share your wine with the GM or sommelier…? That doesn’t make any sense to me as a rule (why would the ownership accept this policy that benefits one employee rather than the business) so I’m assuming I must be missing something. I recognize that post was made a while ago–is this still the policy?

I’ve not been to Underbelly in a while, it’s too difficult to get a reservation.

Lots of places I go waive corkage fees if you share or offer tastes. I don’t offer tastes with the intention of getting free corkage, but it’s nice when it happens. I think they assume that the better you get treated, the more likely you’ll return, the more you’ll tip, the happier the server, etc… It’s just a cycle of mutually beneficial behavior.

Pizaro’s Pizza is a favorite of mine. The best pizza in town and BYOB free of charge.

Went to Pizaro’s on Friday night. Corkage is now $3/bottle. Packing a couple of bottles for Uchi tonight.

Thanks for keeping this post active. Does anyone have info about BYOB in The Woodlands?
I am interested in attending a Houston off-line if anyone is planning one.

Mike - I’ve not found anything in The Woodlands. Most places up there seem to have the full bar and thus no byob.

BYO places we’ve been frequenting lately:

Pizaro’s Pizza (I think Memorial location still has free corkage; $3 at Montrose location)
Just Dinner
Cafe Lili
Paulie’s
George’s Pastaria (Free corkage Monday, Tues, Wed)
Lucio’s
Mala Sichuan
La Vista
Cafe Adel
Underbelly

A couple more options:

Devine Affair
Mein

[good.gif]

Wife and I and regulars at Pizaro’s (Memorial). We’ve been at the Montrose location for the soft opening but with 290 the way it is it’s not worth the drive now for us (we live close to Jersey Village).
Would be a good option for Sundays when the memorial location is closed.

Adding to this one of my favorite Korean places: Myung Dong on the west side… $0 corkage, but bring your own stemware and opener. Large portions of food as well and cash only. Always have a great meal there even though the food can take a while to come out since it is a mom & pop restaurant. Well made, very authentic.

Echoing Mala (now with the Westheimer spot open too!) as a good meal and great BYOB location. Justin Vann does a good job with the list and the Bellaire location has wines that are not on their list as well (Chandon de Brialles and others).