How about a slightly harder wine pairing: Kalbi beef

Fu I totally get where you are coming from and I certainly don’t sip soju like a fine spirt but I have honestly never found a better pairing with Korean bbq. And believe me I have tried being married into a Korean family for 15 years now. There is something about how clean and crisp it is against the rich, fatty, slightly sweet meat that just works for me.

Her parents request wine and I’ve had both on the table but reach for soju almost every time. If there was no sweetness to the meat then I agree most red wines would work better.

I would go with a dry liter of Austrian gruner - you want something refreshing, cleansing, and glupable. Had gruner the other evening at Han Oak (with their accessible spin on Kalbi ribs) and it worked okay, but they served a German gruner that wasn’t as dry as I would’ve liked. (I’ve been married to a Korean for 15 years.)

Indeed, vicious.

Cooked last night, and started off with the only post 2000 California Pinot in the cellar, Kutch. The wine is nice, the pairing a disaster, a real mess on the palate.

Dom Ruinart Rose next, was excellent, the hint of sweetness working well with the saltiness of the soy and sugar of the beef. The bubbles gave it a lift. Recommended.

Finally opened a bottle of Taylor Port 1992 as a dessert wine, thinking it might be fun to see how it went with the kalbi. Not bad, not bad at all. The Port is superb, still quite young, and acted rather like an elder brother with the ribs, making them behave. Not too much interaction between them but somehow it worked.

If you’re just eating kalbi, rather than eating a Korean meal (with all the banchan), I can see many enjoyable wine pairings, from the aforementioned lambrusco, dolcetto, and rosé Champagne (the Ruinart sounds particularly tasty) to a wide variety of the French gamay pet-nats.

If eating a full-on Korean menu (and especially cooking kalbi at the grill table), I enjoy makgeolli, particularly the drier, more serious ones, like E-Dong and Kooksoondang Draft.

Just like everything else, if the quality of beef is excellent, no need for strong marinade. For red, I like Rhone both Syrah and Grenache.

FWIW, your good friend Alfert texted me to say that he likes to pair Korean with Pavie. Who knew?

Better than the 89 Meyney. [wink.gif] Any sweetness kills red Bordeaux.

How about something waaaay outside the box:

Big, fat, oaky, perhaps not bone dry California Chardonnay. One of the unabashedly blowsy ones. On the rare occasions when madness overcomes me and I want something in this style, ZD has worked for me.

Dan Kravitz

Super easy pairing. Pour up that Bugey Cerdon and enjoy!

It’s gotta be Hite or O.B. This reminds me, the Korean BBQ joint near me runs a late night all-you-can-eat special for $20/person from 22:00-02:00.

Wouldn’t the sweet chocolate, oak, espresso, liqcorice and liquor from the Pavie over-power the Korean beef?

[wow.gif]

There is no red Bordeaux that will work with Korean food as sweet or spicy flavor strips fruit and gives thin and tannic impression.

That should create an ideal situation for Robert. Can you recommend a side dish that will make the wine taste weedy?

I only eat grass-fed, free-range beef as is, paired with a Chinon, of course

And WTF is Kalbi? Or better yet, why am I on this thread, lol.

No idea how you got dragged into this but Kalbi is beef short ribs marinaded in soy, sugar, ginger, pear juice and garlic. The best version is cooked in charcoal.

Reviving this thread, as I have some Kalbi coming (and traditional accompaniments) coming from Cote NYC this weekend (by way of Goldbelly). I hear rosé champagne, but partner does not like drinking champagne with meals. (Go figure.) So right now I am thinking either a 2003 Lopez Heredia Vin Tondonio Riserva Blanco or maybe a 2017 Joiseph Gruner Veltliner Altenberg (though I worry it might be too young). Further advice/suggestions welcome–though not from Alfert please :slight_smile:

Kikuhime Yamahai Ginjo Genshu Origarami sake.

Yes, we import it, but it’s also the right answer. :slight_smile:

There are, of course, plenty of wines that will be just fine.

1 Like

When we have eaten there, we have enjoyed both northern Rhône and also Beaujolais reds. They have a really great wine program and somms, and these regions are well-represented on their list:

1 Like

I feel the same way about this subject. All the suggestions sound great! An aged Ravenswood Merlot or Zin sounds good too. What worked for me in the past:

• Makgeolli (+1 with Chaad Kooksoondang)
  • Cab Franc - 2018 Baudry Grezeaux had this with a kalbi jjim
  • Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon. Credit: John Drewniany somm at Cote provided the following pairing at a Bordeaux dinner

2006 Chateau Pontet-Canet Pauillac - USDA Prime Hanger Steak
1995 Chateau Troplong Mondot and 1995 Chateau Latour Les Forts - 45-Day Dry Aged Ribeye, American Wagyu Flatiron, and Prime Marinated Galbi.

** Forgot to mention that Julius pairing of 2001 Barolo Riserva Granbussia and Ramon C’s pairing of 2011 Metras Moulin-A-Vent and an a wonderful 2018 Domaine Tempier Bandol Blanc were spot on!

1 Like