How about a slightly harder wine pairing: Kalbi beef

In my wine youth, it was beringer private reserve chardonnay and moderate aussie shiraz.

Nowadays, lambrusco works pretty well.

As a korean, soju. Has nothing to do because we have been drinking it forever. Sparkling wines, no. If not soju, I will do full bodied reds and certain italian wines works as well. Kalbi should not be so sweet and sweet is not the first thing that comes to mind when eating it.

+1 though I get horrendous hangovers from makgeolli

I have to try the Lambrusco suggestion one of these days

I don’t really see this as a hard pairing if you’re just talking about the marinated beef. However, if you’re talking the 12-17 side-dishes that they usually bring with the beef in Korea, then I’d stick to Auslese or Spatlese Riesling from the Mosel or maybe a Vietti Moscatto d’Asti. For me this would be more about trying to pair with the crazy number of side dishes including the Kimchi. However, for me personally I’d probably want a magnum of Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze.

agree. still find soju the most enjoyable pairing.

We did cote via goldbelly recently and it was excellent. The pickled radish that came with it was the best version of that dish that I’ve had.

1 Like

I sort of get that point, but we don’t ever apply that logic to European cuisine.

If you’re having herbed lamb roast and pick Bordeaux, you don’t worry whether the soup, salad, sweet potato puree, the steamed asparagus or the balsamic Brussels sprouts do or don’t go with the wine. You just match the wine with the lamb and it all works fine.

Same thing here. If you want wines to work, they do.

Well, some of “we” have considerably different experiences here, and do match the wine with entire set of dishes that are served with a course. So the soup and salad probably don’t get counted, but whatever hits the table with the lamb is counted. And the grilled asparagus in yuzu vinaigrette certainly doesn’t work fine with a nice mature cabernet; you will lose all the nuance in the wine.

Same thing here. If you want wines to work, they do.

Maybe for you, but for many of us, they don’t.

In my quest to see what worked with Prum auslese GK, I paired a 2007 with Kalbi. On paper it should have worked, the fat cut by the acidity, the sweetness playing off each other. Was perfectly ok, but deadened the complexity of the wine.

I then tried an ice cold Muscat. Same thing, except that Muscat was not wasted here, and the lower acidity seemed to fight less with the fat.

Patrick Comiskey from the LA Times on bulgogi:

“Most diners, either at Korean restaurants or at home — bulgogi is easily ordered as take-out or made in your own kitchen — wash down that first bite with often lackluster lagers such as Hite or OB. There’s soju, which in terms of food-pairing is like throwing gasoline on a brazier. Wine is almost certainly a better alternative.”

Again, this is bulgogi, which has some similarity but is a tougher wine match than Kalbi due to greater sweetness.

When I lived in Hawaii we ate Kalbi often. Lighter Zinfandel or Petit Sirah worked the best from wines within the price range deemed appropriate at the time. I think some Mencia might also do the trick.

1 Like

Rhone. Preferably syrah dominant.