How good is Chevillon?

The '99s have got to be great!

Tried some about 5 years ago and they were closed down hard. Have not revisited any since.

Really good. But they shut down like many 99s after drinking for a couple years after release. I made the mistake of not back-buying when my eyes opened to Chevillon around 2003 before they shut down but after originally in the NY market.

I’ve got some 88, 93, 02 LSG…

Chevy vertical would be a ton of fun.

Let’s get a dinner together post-COVID, fellas!

some 85 just popped up for sale in commerce corner.

That’s the spirit neener. We just have to find a way to fit a snorkel to pour wine down as a part of a mask that would pass CDC muster :slight_smile:.

Just finished my last 96 LSG a few months ago. An excellent wine, but be aware it takes at least an hour of air to begin to open up. One other note in searching for older vintages, if I remember Chevillon had significant cork issues with an uncomfortable number of corked wines somewhere in the earlier 1990’s. I’m thinking it was 93 or maybe 95, or both, but I don’t remember exactly. I would do your research on that issue before committing on wines from that era. I think the 96’s and after were OK. If anyone else knows the details, please chime in.

Hey Jon, Remember this dinner Todd’s place? Chevillon was the star of the show as I remember it!
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG

Hi John, chiming in.
At least in our experience together, it was the 93’s where we have had a couple of bottles over the years that were corked.
I love me my Chevillons, and have bought them in most good vintages for many years, and I love me my 93’s, but I have had bad luck with 93 Chevillons for some reason.

In 2017, I opened a '99 Vaucrains: It was good/very good but fairly closed, and I said I wasn’t going to open my next bottle for at least five years.

I read somewhere (probably Neal Martin), there was a style change post 2000 vintages.

I am consuming a case of 93 Vacrains, could be rustic like Maume , wouldn’t win any finesse contest.

Chevillon is also my 2nd largest holding in Burgundy due to reasonable pricing during EP and easy access for me.

Ditto. When they’re good they’re great but there are a lot of corked 1993 Chevillons out there.

Huh. The Cailles and LSG I’ve had, my cellar and others, have been glorious. I’m out unfortunately.

I think 93 Vaucrains is one of those you sit and wait and hope. Cailles and LSG have been flat-out great for years. I used to avoid Vaucrains based on personal preference for Cailles and its transparency and relative playfulness.

I’m in. I love Chevillon. always shines when you bring to dinner. I have most vintages since 05 also.

PSA: a bunch of 2018 Chevillon on KL.

We love Chevillon in our house having bought it regularly since 1993. We are still drinking 96s which do well with opening and standing for a at least 2 hours a la Audouze. I find LSG and Cailles the top wines consistently with Vaucrains up and down but having had a great 96 recently maybe that is just the need for more age. At the next level there are plenty of gems but Bousselots can be a delicious surprise albeit more forward with Vosne touches in its juicy profile.
Certainly when I want to introduce someone to what Burgundy is all about I choose Chevillon. When I want someone to call a 1er Cru a Grand Cru in a blind tasting I choose Chevillon. Indeed when I’m thirsty I’ll often choose a Chevillon !

Holy smokes Brodie! That was a long time ago :slight_smile:. Yes, that was one of the last '93s that I had from memory - those Chevillon bottles sure were impressive.

Over the years I have owned and opened three bottles of 1993 Chevillon.

All three have been corked.

Every 1996 Chevillon I have opened has also been corked.

No real issue with other vintages, and I love the wines, but damn.

Prices seem higher. Is that because of the tariffs?