How good is Chevillon?

That’s what I remember as well, and 95.

I’ve only had one '93 Les Cailles, but it was delicious (and not corked.)

This right here is the single most convincing positive review of a wine I have ever read. You can tell it’s a heartfelt testimonial from a true wine fanatic. Think about how much more this says than some fruit basket note with a bunch of gushing adjectives that make no sense!

Chevillon should put it on their web site [cheers.gif]

Really interesting discussion of changes in Burgundy styles on the first page here, I think it deserves its own thread and I may start one.

I think the Burgundy and Bordeaux cases are rather different because Burgundy did not have a “parkerization” stage of extreme increases in extraction and ripeness to accommodate Parkers weakness for super-sized wines, however they apparently did still shift winemaking significantly to meet consumer demand for earlier drinking wine.

I’m curious if this is the general feeling of everyone else as well? is this one of the cases where its not worth buying the Bourgogne or villages to get a good feel for the producer? or does Chevillon make really good quality bourgognes when compared to other bourgognes they just are outshone by really fantastic vaucrains?

I really like the Bourgognes, or at least the ones I’ve tried, but those are older ('12 and earlier). I don’t think they are the value they once were, but you can say that about most Burgs these days. I’ve had some nice bottles of the NSG VV bottling, but at that point you might as well ante up the extra $$ for one of the crus.

IMG_0507.jpg
Look what you made me do with all of this Chevillon talk [cheers.gif] !

They weren’t the only ones in Nuits with cork problems in that vintage; Daniel Rion also had them esp in their VR Beaumonts. Not all bottles are affected.

There was a generational changeover with the 2000 vintage at Chevillon (and Patrice Rion left Daniel Rion to form his own estate). Robert Chevillon’s sons: Denis and Betrand took over and their father retired. The boys had no reverance for their father’s methods, surprisingly. When I asked Bertrand…he said something like “Everyone gets a turn; now it’s ours”. Very sentimental. [stirthepothal.gif] I haven’t noticed a huge change with the 2001s and 2002s I’ve tasted, though. All great Nuits…then and earlier.

No experience with Chevillon previously, but coincidently I just saw some Chevillon pop up from one of my small brokers. 2005 Bourg for $35. And 3 different 2002 1er Crus in the $1xx range. Seems very reasonable. Hoping I got my order in time because I’m looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about!

2008 Cailles was solid last night, good but not special. Suddenly about the 2 hour mark it exploded with ripe dark cherry fruit and texture, totally different and excellent.

Gilman is proven correct!

Just what I was thinking!

tell me—what did he say?

IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
FWIW, a lineup I had ready for a tasting at my home on March 23. They are patiently still patiently awaiting the brave new world.

Anyone hazard a guess about the cabinet the lineup in on? (I know; pretty esoteric; from my grandparents; late '40s’early '50s)

Do you mean that it’s a TV cabinet?

I was thinking radio cabinet.

Whiskey/liquor/alcohol cabinet

That would be a good call too. My grandfather had a similar looking floor cabinet he used for his TV. I didn’t see it until the 70s, but I think it was from the late 40s/early 50s, and it’s possible it had been previously used for radio.