How many RAYAS ....

All my replies above were meant for Roberts question about NORTHERN Rhones - NOT Fonsalette Sy. or any other Southern Rhonewine … (BTW: Fonsalette Syrah always needs lots of time - decades !)

I hope I haven´t been misunderstood …

Also reg. Northern Rhones:

It´s impossible to say generally.
Some lighter styled Cote-Roties ´06 may well be enjoyed soon or now, the same for many Crozes-H and St.Josephs - however the best Hermitages and Cornas will need more time, also the top Cote-Roties, except you like it youthful … 2006 did not close down hardly like many 2005s …

Agree with Jonathan.
For instance: 1991 was a very weak vintage for CdP (Rayas declassified), but a great Fonsalette Syrah was produced !

I assume you refer to 2006 Ch. Rayas. I have around 30 bottles remaining, so I’m comfortable opening whenever I feel like it. I’ve had it 6 times, not counting a corked bottle. You can enjoy now, but it rewards several hours in a decanter, or hyper-aeration if time is short. But if you only have one or two, you’d be better off waiting a few more years.

Sorry Gerhard, my post was not clear, it was in reference to Fonsalette. I was using the reference to Northern Rhone only for comparative purposes of what I like. Northern Rhone is one of my primary focuses, and candidly, were I limited to one place in the world for wine, this would be it.

None, Nero, Zilch.

Ok, that´s another issue.

The regular Fonsalette (only 15% Syrah) usually needs a good 10-12+ years, exceptions are the 2008 and 2004, both mature and no really great efforts.

The Fonsalette Syrah (this is simply the rest of the Syrah not needed for the regular F. - bottled seperately)
can take 15 to 20+ years to mature, same exceptions ´08 and ´04 …

A vintage to seek out might be 2006 …
2009 is fresh on the market, but maybe not your style, as is the 2007 … (and 2003).

I would buy any older Fonsalette vintage (if available and affordable) …

Yes, sorry, I did mean the 2006 Rayas. I only have a few bottles of that particular vintage, so I think I will let them sleep for now. How about the 2001 and 2004 vintages?

Rayas 04 and 01:
Well, Emmanuel Reynaud would say “far too young!”

On the other hand, if you like it youthful/fruity, both are at a stage of early maturity, not totally evolved but kind of accessable … in any case both need a lot of air …

They are definitely not undrinkable … ! [dance-clap.gif]