How many RAYAS ....

I think drinking Rayas 05 now or next year will be a bit of a waste… If you do, I suggest you open the bottle 48 hours before tasting.

Alain

I’ m not at home now, so no exact figures, but I guess
290 bts
130 Rayas
70 Pignan
90 Fonsalette, 50% Syrah
from 1970 (1 bt) - 2009

I missed that it was including Pignan and Fonsalette, so maybe 22 or so. I think I have about 9 each Pignan and Fonsalette.

1. Wondering if they will release another vintage anytime soon.

2010 - next year!

Still waiting on the 09.

It always fascinates me how even among this community – a tiny minority among a minority – our cellars are so dramatically different. The answer for me is zero. And I don’t anticipate that number changing in the future.

Neal,

If it’s not price, what is it about Rayas that causes your disinterest?

Zero - I’ve never had any interest.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln . . . "

I buy virtually no CdP these days, and almost never buy wines at this price level.

I need more Rayas! I have about 50 bottles from 1983 to 2007. I have a few bottles of older Pignan from 1978 though 1990 in my cellar as well.

At least to me, Rayas is perhaps the best expression of Grenache in the world. It’s a unique style of Chateauneuf du Pape that remains unequaled. For details on Rayas… Learn about Chateau Rayas Chateauneuf du Pape Wine, Complete Guide

Zero. I’ve had it probably a half dozen times. I can see the quality and the appeal to other wine lovers, and I get some intellectual interest from it, but I don’t really enjoy it just for my personal tastes, especially not at a high price tag.

I do think the wine universe is better with producers like that in it, whether or not it’s my personal thing.

Back at home I have to correct myself:

127 Rayas (incl. 7 whites)
66 Pignan
103 Fonsalette (incl.62 Syrah and 3 whites).
Vintages from 1962 (1 bt. blanc) until 2009 …
total 296 bts.
27 diff. vintages

I admit that Rayas is not easy to find - and quite pricy in retail … I wouldn´t buy it either (or much less) at these prices.
(usually 200 to 300+ ? Pignan and Fonsalette lower. Am I right?).

However - a true wine lover should at least have tasted it once or better several times. It is one of the most pronounced personalities in the world of wine (not only for Grenache) … totally unique and without a real substitute. 2004 or 2006 should be available and affordable somewhere (and even the 2002 and 2008 are outstanding).

Gerhard -

It’s been a very long time since I have had the Fonsalette Cuvée Syrah. I’m a cooler climate Syrah guy - love Cornas and old school Cotie Rotie producers like Levet - any recommendation on a particular vintage I should track down?

Robert,
if you love cooler climate vintages 2013 might be interesting … but acidity is higher and tannins are prominent …

2012 rather not for you - it was hotter.
2011 is not great, though not bad (but not consistent)
2010 is a great vintage - I love also 2009, but the style is of a warm year …

2015 might be fine, but I haven´t tasted anything so far (but soon will).

Thanks, Gerhard. I really liked the 2013 Northern Rhone vintage and tend to prefer high acid. A retailer I deal with has the 2006 reasonably priced. Decent? I will seek out 2010, love the vintage in Northern Rhone as well.

2006 is decent but not really great - overall slightly better than 2007 … but it depends on the region and producer
(between Cote-Rotie and Cornas there are some 60 km)
2006 is slightly fuller, sweeter fruit, 2007 can be a bit lean sometimes …

There were some great wines produces in 2006 (and 2007) …

When would be a good time to pop an '06? Wait a few more years? or would it be enjoyable at this stage?

Although the Fonsalette Syrah definitely has the flavor profile of the Northern Rhone, its locations is not remotely Northern Rhone, so I don’t know if vintage generalizations for that area would fit it. I hasten to add that I have only had the wine in 3 or 4 different vintages over the years, so I don’t really know if it can be generalized with Southern Rhone vintages either.