How Often Do You Drink Wine?

Not enough any more. I have been drinking and collecting for 30 years and both my purchases and consumption are limited now.

Indeed [berserker.gif]

I’d say 5 nights/week on average. An increase during COVID. Working from home was the main factor. No commute so I woke up later. I generally woke up before the clock alarm. Now that I’m retired, that no longer applies.

How Often Do You Drink Wine?

You mean like, after breakfast?

+1.

Tom

Usually not more than once a day.

2 Likes

For us, wine is a component of our diet. It would be like asking how often do I consume a dinner. It’s simply included in the menu.

1 Like

These days - 1-2 times a month on average at home, but 10-12 evenings per year in NYC/Westchester spread out over what is usually 3 trips per year. And when I do open wine, it is almost always for a wine tasting that may or may not be themed. Solo bottles are occasional tastings of something newly released- with most of the bottle shared with friends ITB- or Yquem with the family at major holidays since that is Mom’s favorite wine.

With what has happened to pricing and allocations on my favorite wines over the years, I cannot enjoy them as often as I would like plus there are precious few people I know who are still both buying and drinking such bottles. And so wine has become something of a special occasion for me.

One glass of wine with dinner every night. Some nights I might pour another half glass. But beyond this amount is where I notice unwanted weight gain.

Wine wednesday at local wine bar. I probably have a bottle.
Friday night wine group dinner at least a bottle

The rest is variable. I had half a bottle of rose by the pool today and finished it with dinner. Friends can send me a message to come there or here or the wine bar any time. Some weeks it might be two nights others it none.

Monthly is easier. About 10 bottles a month +/-

It depends on……the work……the wife……the food…….the wife……the day….the wife……the moment……the wife……the movie……the wife……the motive……the wife……the reason……the wife……the wine……the wife……the grocery……the wife……the garage……the wife……the mind……the wife…….Da Bears.

Less often than I used to yet buying more than ever…
#hopeless

Nights off are rare but happen, usually if I have a bike race the next day.

So probably ten bottles a week between us, but the average alcohol level is probably under 12%.

Pretty much every evening with dinner.
I drink coffee every day with breakfast.
If I want or need to drink anything else it is nearly always seltzer with squeezed lime.

+1, with the occasional tastings, blow-outs or dry days.

We look at wine just like any other ingredient when planning a meal which results in sharing a bottle most nights. 1 to 3 dry nights a week tend to happen naturally due to being busy with the kids and just grabbing or making a quick bit to eat that doesn’t work with wine.

Wine with lunch on the weekends is my personal favorite time to drink wine but doesn’t happen as often as I’d like with our schedule.

I now drink less wine more often (5-6 x week), whereas it used to be more wine less often (bottle 3x week).
Weekly volume is the same or less.

It used to be nightly, and with most weekend lunches, as I consider it a part of a meal, and don’t want to exclude it any more than I want to exclude a vegetable. I love the ritual of choosing the right match for dinner - it is almost as great a pleasure as the consuming.

The problem with nightly drinking for us, however, is that a glass is not satisfying, or even very enjoyable. Portion control doesn’t work for me with wine or with food. I feel deprived, like being on a diet, which I hate. Jonathan is even more in that camp. We almost never open a bottle without finishing it, and usually prefer to open two, so the enjoyment lingers into the evening after dinner, or begins before food while we’re cooking. So when we decided to try and cut down for caloric purposes, we preferred to go several nights a week without wine rather than to reduce quantity and keep the frequency up. Right now we’re having wine on weekends (Fri-Sun) and usually one night during the week when we have a social engagement, resulting in 3 nights a week off on average.

I can’t say I like it. I miss nightly wine. That’s my preference for sure. Perhaps we’ll return to that some day.

We’ll have a glass or two with dinner each night (if I am cooking, I will sometimes have a glass during meal prep). If we are with company, it’s probably closer to three to four glasses for the evening (since people will have brought bottles of wine with them, and we want to try them all).

I wouldn’t say that we’re specifically limiting ourselves, it’s just how much wine can be drunk at a leisurely pace with dinner, and suits us just fine. Wine is simply part of our dinner ritual.

We usually open 1 bottle a night Th-Sun at home. If we are doing a food pairing we may open a bottle on another night. Its rare, but we occasionally will open multiple bottles. If we have family over, it could be a 3-5 bottle night. I think we opened 6 bottles Saturday night for a small get together. I like to give my body a few days of no alcohol during the week.