How Often Do You Drink Wine?

This is the correct answer!

1 Like

2-3 modest glasses about 5 nights each week. Very seldom enough to ‘catch a buzz’.

pre Covid, 4-5 times a week, usually 1-2 glasses. Depended on how much I was traveling for work. Usually would drink a 2-3 glasses on Friday/Saturday night, and then if traveling a glass or two here or there, if not traveling, didn’t drink much during the week, may a glass or two one to two nights a week.

Since Mar of 2020, way too much… we fell into a bottle a day habit for 4-5 months (2-3 glasses each), and then since about Sept. of last year have dialed it back to roughly 3-4 nights a week, roughly 2 glasses on average. I don’t typically drink any other alcohol other than wine (I think I can count on both hands the number of alcoholic drinks besides wine I have had in the past 5 years).

My girlfriend and I do a pretty good job of not drinking Monday through Thursday, with the rare glass or two midweek from time to time.

Friday and Saturday are typically 2 bottles per day, then 1 bottle prior to and during dinner on Sunday. There’s not much thought to this, it’s just what ends up happening most weeks.

Typically a bottle each on Friday and Saturday nights with my wife when we stay in plus the ocassional social event during the week where I’ll have a few glasses. If we host or attend a group dinner though, we may go through several bottles.

My wife is pregnant right now so I’ve cut way back on opening nice bottles at home. Maybe one a week.

The wife and I split a bottle with dinner most nights.

How do you divvy it up?

I convinced She-who-must-be-obeyed that attaining an identical BAC was an equitable way to ration a bottle of wine between us so we base it on body weight…

Always 50/50 by volume unless one of us doesn’t want his or her full share. If someone wants more, there are more bottles.

Side note - I hate it that I almost always get poured noticeably less than the male participants at wine dinners and in restaurants.

1 Like

I have had people get fussed when I ask them who is driving and suggest that the designated driver knock off drinking. When they object I cite the cases where the courts have found the hosts to have at least some legal liability for turning out drivers that have been allowed to over-indulge.

So I agree that wine shouldn’t be metered by sex of the drinker, but disagree that it should be equal portions regardless of body mass.

Only for lunch and dinner, never for breakfast. But small quantities.
Wife wants smaller pours… so I have to drink more.

It almost never comes up for us. We cook and drink at home or take a cab or public transportation. Not an issue. On the very rare occasions we have to drive after a meal with wine, we both drink less than we would otherwise.

Edited to add: in situations where we do have to drive, he’s usually the driver, so chooses to drink less than I do, despite being a lot bigger than I am.

Just our situation, obviously.

Look at the bright side, you can drink more now to end up at the same BAC.

Varies wildly. When we are at the beach house, every day wine is the norm. At home a couple of nights a week, usually if I cook a good meal.

same for me on both fronts

5-6 days per week, about 4-6-ish ounces a day, generally a total of two bottles per week, excluding entertaining. Spouse has a few sips here and there, perhaps a bit more depending on the food and wine. I enjoy pairing wine with food.

One of the things that became clear for me during covid is how rarely I feel like drinking by myself.

So excluding wine dinners (had a great one two nights ago) I’d say 1-3 bottles a month with a given bottle spread throughout several days. Including them it’s sufficiently variable to be meaningless as it can range from +0 to +10ish.

Virtually every night with dinner. We usually share half a bottle between us and then share the other half the next night. She usually has about half a glass (which is all she wants), and I have the rest. When it’s Italian, she’ll take a larger pour, and she’ll pass entirely on some other types. When we first got into wine, limiting it this way was a way to keep the cost within budget. Now, it’s more a way to keep the amount of alcohol within health guidelines, but it still helps on the cost front, too.

I like to open wine. She likes to make cookies, brownies, and other desserts. When we are feeling overweight, she prefers to cut out the wine, and I prefer to skip dessert. Which means lately, she’s been passing on the wine more often, leaving the entire half-bottle to me (and I’ve been skipping dessert more often). She still usually partakes when it’s Italian.

Usually that’s it for wine, but every so often it will be none, or more than that half a bottle (e.g., one or both of the kids who drink are visiting, wine dinners, etc.).

The “half a bottle a night” thing only works because she usually only wants that half a glass. If she wanted to drink more, half a bottle a night wouldn’t really be enough for both of us, to accompany the meal. We will usually finish an entire bottle between us when we go out to dinner and bring one of our better bottles, for example. But if we finished a whole bottle between us every night, it seems that would be an unhealthy quantity for at least one of us, depending on how the bottle was split. If she, like me, wanted to drink basically as much as health guidelines allow based on body weight, or perhaps just a tad more, our ideal would probably be to have all our stuff bottled in 500ml or 1L bottles so we could drink a bottle over one or two nights, respectively.

1-3 nights a week. Some weeks not at all, but most weeks we have wine at minimum once during the week.

Almost everyday!

Usually 3-4 nights a week. It went up to every night at the start of covid and then we reigned it in. Usually just one bottle between the two of us. When we have people over is when I tend to overindulge.