"How to throw away $173" or "I am a dumbass"

That’s a nice ending to the story. I also like the implied “Weill, I picked something once that I thought was something else, and it worked out…so I might as well pick these mushrooms, too.”

Back in 2012 I had a 1959 Ch. Recougne from mag, it was stunning. Those '59’s, even the cru bourgeois ones, can still show some life.

Well done Warren. Glad it showed well.

Congratulations, Warren.

Warren, glad I was correct this time rather than sometime when I think a wine would be horrible.

I think this is a lesson for all of us about buying more less expensive well made Bordeauxs and Burgundies. I think we all grab for the big names and am not sure we have to do so. I remember when I first started buying wine I bought a lot of 1982 Bordeauxs like Gloria, Chasse Spleen, Phelan Sequr, Latour du Pin Figeac, etc. They were about $5-7 a bottle in those days, but I sometimes regret that I did not save some of them longer and did not continue buying wines like that.

Putting my money where my mouth is, for example a year or so ago I bought a 1990 Jadot Savigny les Beaune Dominode. Have not opened it up yet but hopefully it will be as good as your wine. I have been buying in recent years wines from Beaune, Savigny les Beaune, Pernand Vergelesses and more recently reds from Santenay and Chassagne Montrachet.

I have 2 Paul Bara still red wines from 87 (correctly labeled, I’m at fault). Hoping for similar success.

The heck with the wine - those shrooms look deelish flirtysmile .

A wise man.

Great story and ending. Wine looks great in the glass.

While it’s true that an AC Savigny-les-Beaune shouldn’t be expected to reach the heights of a top producer’s Grand Cru, I have been amazed at the performance of some older “lesser” wines. The bottle that started me on the road to financial ruin was a poorly stored AC Gevrey-Chambertin from Pierrre Bouree that was 30+ years of age. I’ll certainly drink some of my lesser wines at a young age, I plan on ageing enough of them that I hope to be able to open 20+year old village Burgs as every day drinkers eventually.

Good vintages float all boats.

When I was in charge of the wines at Antoine’s in NOLA in the 80’s I inherited multiple verticals of scores of unclassified estates in Bordeaux and village and premier cru Burgs from negociants but ALL from great vintages which my forebears had bought big in.

Great stuff CHEAP even at restaurant pricing. I really miss those wines…

Warren, I missed this thread back when you started it…just awesome stuff, thx much for posting!

I guess it’s possible some lesser right banker survived 53 years

Even 55 years , Warren :slight_smile:

Doesn´t surprise me - I had more than one “Petits Chateaux” from ´59, and with a good fill all were good, vg, even fine … even ´57, ´55, ´53, ´52 … not to speak of the many great ´64s (right bank) …

(not that I would have paid 173,- ) [cheers.gif]

Warren
What a lovely ending to the story, and it just goes to show we sometimes only assume the most prestigious wines are the ones that cellar well.
The mycologist sitting next to me is interested in the mushrooms you foraged. Always difficult to id in a picture, but it looks like a bearded tooth/pompom at the front, plus a couple of birch boletus? A coral fungus and some clubs also at the front, but couldn’t id them closer. Is that a hedgehog mushroom at the back?
Regards
Ian

Warren; Great ending to your story…older wines sure can surprise! I also am interested in the names of all the various mushrooms and after reading Ian’s post…I wonder if the names are different in the UK?

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

I bought a 64 Charles krug Napa Cab for my 50th recently after reading good reports on the wine. My bottle was basically crap !! quick taste and then used to clean sink !!!

Not sure ill ever go back to the game of chance that is really old wine

I have yet to have a bad '59.
wish I could say the same about '61 and '82!

Interesting. What bad 82s have you had? I don’t think I have had any.

Howard- very poor choice of words on my part.
I meant that every '59 I’ve had, from first to fifth (and beyond) has exceeded expectations*.
However I’ve had some less than stellar '61s and '82s.
That’s not to diss those vintages at all, just to point out that I really haven’t had any bad '59s.
Guess I’ve just been fortunate:)

*Off the top of my head I can think of several '59s that are still younger/fresher/more interesting than their '61 and 82
younger siblings- Brane Cantenac, Calon Segur, Ausone, Montrose, Langoa-Barton, Lynch-Bages, Batailley etc…
Also, I’d take the '59 Mouton over the '61 or '82 every time:)
Of the '82s I’ve been a little underwhelmed by- Calon-Segur, Gloria, La Lagune and Pontet-Canet stick out because they usually over deliver even in rough vintages.