"How to throw away $173" or "I am a dumbass"

Ian,
I’m no mushroom expert, but I foraged with one. The ones I remembered were two types of hericium, some huge hedgehog mushrooms, a bunch of golden (late) chantrelles, and clubs. Those weren’t birch boletus, but Leccinum arctostaphylos; they’re found in Alaska, plus one known field in the contiguous United States, which is where we found these. We were about a week or two too late for King Boletus, which was our primary quarry. We didn’t eat the Cortinarius violates; my friend kept those.
Cheers,
Warren

Warren,

Thanks for the good news. Picked up two of these from Spectrum Auction about the same time last year. Knew it was the Montagne, but took a risk as the price was pretty low and the bottles looked pristine. I’d pop in a photo but they are at my off site. Haven’t found the occasion to open one yet, but encouraged to do so after seeing your note. Will repost after I try one.

Cheers, [cheers.gif]

Steve

Glad that you had a great bottle. This story is why we all love wine.

The Monsieur Henri sticker and the importer strip both look like they were likely from at least the 70s or 80s, so maybe this came from the winery or a good European cellar long after release. That could help explain the condition.

Bravo, Warren! That’s all I’ll say.

If it’s got a good dose of nebbiolo, which I’d guess it does, you’re probably safe. It’s a good year and nebbiolo has remarkable staying power. In the late 90s I picked up a couple of bottles of 71 Barolos from no-name producers and which had clearly been abused. Terrible fills, bad labels. And damn if they didn’t turn out to be good. But they needed a lot of time in the glass to blossom, they were that sturdy and sound.

Warren, thanks for the self-deprecating story and it sounds like you were properly rewarded. And how enjoyable that all those commenting on your post also seemed to appreciate your situation. Sadly this seems more and more like the exception to the rule on this board.

Warren
Many thanks for the funghi info - much appreciated.

We went to a wonderful mushroom exhibition at the truffle fair in Alba last weekend. The organisers saw the brains of the operation pull out her favourite book to cross-reference, and one of them came over to chat and guide us through some interesting mushrooms. I felt slightly sorry for him when he eagerly said there was a mushroom we may not have seen before, that grows only off hazelnut tree roots… We had to disappoint him as we’d seen a load of them on the walk between castiglione falletto and Serralunga d’alba the day before! lovely chap though.

One real positive, was getting contact details for their group based around Asti, so next time we are over here, we will see if it is possible to go out for a walk with them.

Regards
Ian

Here’s more mushroom details from my friend: “Hericium abeitis (the larger white coral like mushroom on the end of Hemlock log), Hericium erinaceus (the baseball sized white coral found on hemlock log) Clavariadelphus truncatus (sweet club) Hydnum repandum (hedgehog mushroom), Armillaria melea grp (honey mushroom), Leccinum archtostaphili ( the red capped mushroom), and lastly Cantherellus tubaeiformis (winter or yellowfoot chanterelle).”

Warren
You are too kind! The brains of the operation has just put her head down for a late afternoon siesta, but I’ll let her know those funghi when she wakes up.
We found Boletus edulus and amanita caesarea today, though that was cheating as they were at the market in Torino! Looking forward to trying the latter as previously we cooked them, but since found out the preferred preparation is just to mix with lemon and good olive oil, plus salt and pepper, i.e. Uncooked.
Regards
Ian

The bright violet ones were Cortinarius violaceus. We didn’t eat those, but they are edible. The Aminata are reportedly hallucinogenic and a GI toxin.
IMG_3863.JPG

No surprise, Meyney is fuqn awesome

If its been well stored, the C Krug Vintage Select is one of the best '64s out there. Next time you’re in LA let me know; I’ll open one and make a believer out of you;)