I broke another damn stem

I know how that feels. I did the same and I really do break them much less often, but I feel extra dumb when I do.

Larry,
I can’t help but smile at your optimism…but it still sucks to break a stem.

Im horrible at this. Ive break stems all the time. I need to go into the garage and look or the extras because 3 of the remaining four brugundy stems in my kitchen are pinot days branded ones.

+1 I use Libbey wine glasses from the local outlet store. They have a whole line of them for different types of wine. About one-tenth the price of the Riedel Vinum and they almost never break.

I once broke 18 Riedel Vinums at once. Had a new glass-doored glass-shelved cabinet delivered, loaded the glasses, then went to take one out and when I opened the door a shelf collapsed. It all seemed to happen in slow motion, and it was the coolest sound.

I once ordered a brand new set of SZ Burgundy stems and when they arrived I opened the box, took one out to admire it, and as I was returning it to the box, I allowed it to drop the final half-inch without the guidance of my hand and the stem snapped in half. Never even poured a drop of wine into that one.

I will not d5rink from Riedel Sommeliers. I find that the cold stare of a New York attorney when the wine is not good enough is enough to break the stem.

I have SZ Pure series stems that are titanium. I broke a stem while washing it and was disappointed in how easily it broke. I’ve also dropped one from 3 feet in the air onto my hardwood floor and it didn’t even flinch. I was floored at how durable that one was. It wasn’t the same glass since I did it in that order. I also banged one of the bowls against the cabinet pretty hard and it was fine.

So…I have no answers.

Yet another area in which I am apparently an outlier. I cannot remember the last time I broke a stem of any sort. It has been years. We almost always use Spiegalau stems and we almost always put them in the dishwasher. I have boxes of unused stems downstairs, bought because I figured I would break them eventually, and I am sure I will, but “eventually” is likely going to mean over the course of decades. (Of course, I likely will now break three this week for having tempted fate.)

You are SOOO jinxed now. I bet the shelf in the basement collapses tonight.

When I first moved to DC about 8 years ago, I put all my Riedel stems in my kitchen cabinet. I was a bachelor at the time and had a lot of extra room so I thought I was being smart as to not leave them out and break them. About six months later, I was on a trip and apparently the kitchen cabinet decided to detach from the wall. Much to my dismay when I arrived home and opened up the door, the kitchen cabinet was on the floor along with about 24 Riedel stems that were now in a million pieces.

The landlord was not too happy when he got the detailed list of all the items that were broken. Lets just say his rent check was a hell of a lot smaller that month!!

SZ is far from unbreakable. In fact, I don’t have that many left.

The Zalto glasses are surprisingly durable.

Listen to you “fancy” wine snobs, with your “glasses”. It already comes in a single serving glass bottle, why do you need to complicate the situation?

Yet another good reason not to destem: no risk of breaking them.

More seriously, I second Jay Miller’s comment taht the Zalto glasses are surprisingly sturdy.

Riedel Restaurant Series…

They go in the dishwasher…have never had one break…

When washing and drying, never hold by the stem or base. Cup the bowl in your hand. Took me three Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux to learn this.

A great drying rag is the Crate and Barrel white linen napkin.

Surprised to hear so many use the dishwasher. Would think it would cloud up (I usually use a Schott Zwiesel Enoteca Bordeaux).

An interesting perspective on the breaking of stems (make sure to listen to the audio story):

Yours or Carrie’s?

+1

Finally got a set SZ Forte Chianti/Zin/Water stems. The dishwasher was doing a great job before. After I turned off the heated dry cycle, it’s even better. No more baked-on mineral deposits from our very hard water. Quick rinse under a hot tap, gentle dry with a dedicated cloth, and they’re ready to go.

I put my Riedel Vinum Bordeaux and Syrah glasses in the dishwasher every night. I’ve never had the dishwasher break a single glass if the glass is put in correctly (i.e., no stuffing it in so the bell is expanded by prongs, and no putting it in so it can swing wildly all over the place (like into a steel knife handle, or another stem)). Fastest way to break a Vinum is to hand wash it. Give the directions the finger and put them in the washer. $25 a pop, and so far, very dishwasher durable. I’ve had mine for years now with no ill effects.