I decanted my wine. It was corked. How do I clean my decanter?

Apparently wineries no longer use bleach, because when they do it potentially makes tca problems worse.

Most bleach isn’t chlorine-based anymore, which would be the problem. Still, I would never use it in anything I drink out of. It’s not easy to completely rinse it out.

For TCA, you really don’t need to overthink it. A few rinses with hot water as John suggested have always worked just fine for me. You could include a little dish soap on the first fill if you really want to be thorough.

I normally calmly proceed to burn down the house where it happened and just move on.

TCA is pretty lipophilic so I would just proceed with soapy water.

See 6.2.5 !!! [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

I guess I missed my chance.

I would break the decanter into many pieces and bury them in different parts of the country. Make sure they’re in at least 10 different places and no less than 6 feet deep, or they may rise up, reassemble, and contaminate every wine you drink for the rest of your life.

I do think it’s really funny that some people go to such extreme measures for something that isn’t a big deal at all. I can’t imagine doing some of those things to a decanter.

Really? Try telling that to Clorox. [basic-smile.gif]

But TCA isn’t a mold, is it? I thought it was a byproduct of a mold.

Wash them well. That`s it.
If you put Chlorox in them you can throw them away as well.

Do you really think it is handled differently in Restaurants?

I don’t think bleach should be a problem, should it? Chlorine seems to evaporate quite completely in a relatively short time, particularly when diluted.

I don’t see any need for chlorine bleach here, though, because there’s no need to sterilize or remove stains.

You cannot simply walk into Mordor. Not with ten thousand men could you do this.

Simple washing has always worked just fine for me, and I am very TCA sensitive.

You guys reuse decanters?

Hans,
Chlorox has not been a problem for me & I have a sensitive nose & Tongue !!

You’re right, I always throw mine in the fireplace when I’m done. Can’t be a baller and re-use your glassware.

[resizeableimage=400,275]http://letmebestormy.smugmug.com/TamaraBowman/Family-Images-July-2010-July/AnimalsTravels/i-CwsBpSS/0/L/TheWedding1245-L.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Break out the Chuppah. One at a time, cover the decanter and stemware with a classy piece of linen. Get some serious air. Ditch the Keds for Army Boots. Mazel Tov!

RT

I simply fly there on my giant eagle.

Which is what Bilbo should have done from the get go.

Wow, somebody posted about a single use house - burn and go. Now THAT is a balla.

Gentlemen,
I think we now have a GOOGAN ALERT !!! [winner.gif]

My favorite technique as well.

[thumbs-up.gif]

Use the red arrow icon to the far left of the subject line in the reply you want to quote.

[cheers.gif]