I decanted my wine. It was corked. How do I clean my decanter?

I use Oxyclean to get stains out of decanters and stemware. Not for corked wines.

If a wine is corked, I rinse the decanter or stem several times. I don’t think soap, bleach, or fire is needed. TCA is really potent. Concentration is measured in parts per trillion. That said, you don’t have pure TCA in your glass. When your wine is obviously corked it’s probably 3-4 ppt, or in a REALLY horribly corked wine maybe 10 ppt. So you empty from decanter, there’s maybe 0.2 oz of wine clinging to sides. If you fill decanter (50 oz?) and empty 3 or 4 times, the concentration is into homeopathic levels. If anyone claims to be able to taste TCA in concentrations of .001 ppt I’d like to see them show in a lab test.

+1 It`s always easier and more efficient and chemical free

Only way to be sure, nuke the site from orbit. They only come out at night, mostly.

I would just use dishwashing liquid with hot water, at least 2 times go-around, and then rinse with hot water several times. Btw, this cleaning brush is pretty much a necessity for me when cleaning my decanters and we bought ours at a local home/kitchen utensils/gadgets store:

http://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-City-decanter-scrubber-cleaning/dp/B00AH9H4MG/ref=pd_sim_hg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WRW50YSHH1ZZ8KSKBDX

Nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Or a lot of hot water.

what was the wine??

please ensure you update the corked wine study…

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=546396#p546396

The last decanter I bought (waterford) recommended soak 50/50 vinegar/water overnight. Id try that or the Oxyclean.

I never had any luck with the cleaning brushes, because the curves of most decanters are hard to navigate with them. That’s why I went to the Efferdent with hot water treatment, because it works perfectly for any stains and leaves no residual taste after a couple of rinses. Can’t necessarily say the same about dish soap.

Dump, rinse with non-tainted wine, dump, refill. I should add I recommend this only if you’re a Baller, or want to impress a Baller.

No problem dish soap, as long you rinse vigorously and often, with hot water.
Also, I’ve cleaned with a similar brush as in the photo upright pear-shaped decanters, the wide flat-based ones jsut like in the amazon photos, even have one that’s shaped like a friggin’ swan that somebody gifted us. The brush can be easily bent and it reached every nook and cranny.

Btw, anybody here other than me that’s surprised and amused to learn that there are, so far, 15 different ways to wash and clean a decanter?

I say we sit on them one by one and squash them into jelly.

How do you cook hobbits

Surprised nobody mentioned clean suits and filtered air before burning and burying said decanter.

White Burg

You’re right, I just looked that up. I misread something about how bleach is shipped and produced a while back. Don’t mind me…