I paid over $6000 through Commerce Corner, seller has disappeared

I have a few thoughts on this. First, I know George and he is a very kind and generous person. It hurts to see some of the comments here because the world needs more people who trust like he does, not fewer.

Second, the main thing missing here is information. Clearly the seller should have been communicating but we know nothing of the reasons why he has not. Likewise we have no info on what the poster of the sale is or is not doing. Before jumping to legal or high pressure remedies, the important thing is to get the missing info, without turning to any “we vs. they” approach.

Third, we have members of the community sticking up for all three people involved. If people on the East Coast can help get some of the missing information flowing, maybe this can be resolved with everyone on same side.

Small claims court in CA won’t work, since you generally have to serve small claims court defendants within the state. You might have to file a small claims court matter in the jurisdiction in which the person lives. Even if there’s a debate about a breach of contract claim where the contract might be unenforceable, there is at least a claim of unjust enrichment–you can’t keep both my $$ and the goods you agreed to sell.

Having said that, the post highlights the risk of dealing with a stranger for a lot of $$, esp. when the person lives on the other side of the country. Hindsight is 20/20, but in a situation like this I would find a friend who lives there and would agree to help out by meeting the seller and delivering cash/check only upon receipt of the goods.

Bruce

the OP has given the seller a year… i think they have exhausted all remedies outside of the high pressure/legal realm. some people simply don’t respond to nice. i think dialing up the pressure is necessary in this regard.

Ditto.

I’m glad to hear that any legal issues seem to lie not with George but with Rob Stewart. From the previous post sounds like small claims court in VA might be an appropriate mext step.

A fella is down on his luck, asks for help and this is what you response is?

Blocked.

Agreed.
Pretty douchey.

Still illegal on the seller’s part, who I’m sure doesn’t have a license to sell wine and did not buy these from a distributor. To be clear, I wasn’t saying the buyer is breaking any laws explicitly, but the seller definitely is.

George offered to purchase the wine in good faith, and followed through with sending the purchase price to the seller. That he appears to have been stiffed is most unfortunate, and I feel sorry for his pending loss.

I know little about Commerce Corner and don’t haunt that forum, but it seems to me that the forum should provide support and direction for those engaging in transactions through that forum. I am thinking in terms of What To Do and What Not To Do guidance for those wishing to participate in these transactions. Maybe the forum already does that…I don’t really know.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Well if it turns out this is a DC seller then very lax laws may apply.

I see. I didn’t realize that.

I think it’s pretty simple at this point. He either can ship you the wine or provide you a refund within 48 hours or you get the authorities involved.

No law-talking guy here myself, but this smells of wire-fraud at an inter-state level an could get very messy for him. Since you’re an attorney I’d serve him asap with a suit while contacting a detective in Arlington at the same time. You’ve played nice till now and been ignored, why wait to get serious?

George isn’t asking people what he should have done, he’s asking for help in resolution… I don’t understand why people feel the need to do that.

Sorry I can’t help George, best of luck in getting resolution. This douchebag needs a swift kick to his junk.

George, sorry to hear about your loss and hopefully this matter will be resolved. I work in DC and live in the MD burbs, so if this matter ever get’s to a point where you need someone in DC to pick-up/deliver wines nearby (e.g., to a shipper), please let us know - I would be happy to assist if free at the time. Also, keep some records as you can always write the loss off your taxes. Good luck, Jim

I’m not a tax lawyer, and I don’t play one on TV. With that caveat, I wouldn’t be so certain that this would be considered a taxable loss that would generate an appropriate tax deduction or credit.

Bruce

Only if that was your business would this be able to be written off as a loss.

Small claims court is probably best. Would have to file in md.

Just to clarify some details, here is the post George responded to:

Man, that sucks. I am wondering what recourse you have? Most jurisdictions don’t allow private sale of wine. I’m in DC, but I’m pretty sure Virgina is the same way. I’m just wondering what can be done other than public shaming.

He deposited the $6650 check last June in the account of the Sommelier Society of Washington, D.C., a nonprofit.

George - I am sorry for what yo are going through.
If it was me I could not and would not stand for it. I would contact a criminal defense or personal injury attorney in your life that you are friends with. Give them all the details on BOTH the poster and and seller. Have them run a “westlaw public search” for both people. You should get current and known previous addresses, relatives, employers. known friends and family as well as probably friends and family.
Start with their inner most circle and move outwards calling everyone person letting them know who you are ,what your number is and what the issue is.
Call as many local newspapers/websites for the arlington area and let them know the issue as well.
Call every agency listed here http://www.usa.gov/directory/stateconsumer/texas.shtml and report the transaction (theft).
Contact his local police department and let them know the issues your havign and ask if they camm go by his house/job on your behalf.
Basically embarrass, expose and and make life as uncomfortable as possible for him. Try becoming his facebook/linked in fan and then send friend requests to his friends and start the campaign again on his social media.
Do NOT do anything illegal, do not try to collect the debt with violence, threats or intimidation as this will put you on the wrong side.
Try to record/document all of your actions.

Also where is Maureen in this process? If she is not your 100% your advocate that give your attorney friend her information and do the same to her.

So sorry and best of luck. AS for the few people who gave you grief -trollers will troll.

PSA: There is another thread on this in Wine Talk:

Best of luck, George!