If you have offsite storage, how many bottles do you keep at home

After my wine fridge crapped out, I keep 0-3 at home and 100-120 in my offsite storage which can grow to just over 150. As much as I’d like hundreds or thousands of bottles, I really prefer keeping a modest collection as it forces restraint on my buying habits. Plus, I’d rather not have to constantly manage, worry about relocating a huge collection, or obsess over the hobby since great “ready now” wines so easily accessible anyway. The quality of the collection continues to go up as I open ones that are ready now, and replace with better wines. I have what I would consider an excellent to world class bottle of wine to share on major holidays, celebrations and birthdays every year until I’m old as dust, on fixed income, and my taste buds are shot and there’s no reason not to switch to cheap-o, chilled, Carlo Rossi jug “burgundy”.

All home !

As I buy more aged wine, with the need to stand up bottles for sediment to settle in a refrigerated setting… I need more capacity as standing up wines in the wine fridges reduces their bottle capacity by 20% or so.

2 eurocaves worth will cover all immediate needs, both planned and impulsive.

If you already covered it, it is no longer impulsive! :wink:

I kept the bulk off-site (amazing how it can save you from those impulsive “maybe we should open up just one more” moments). Used CellarTracker’s Time to Drink Up and Readiness to Drink reports to keep the 24 bottle cooler at the house stocked up.

I have a 650 bottle home cellar. My offsite was originally intended as “overflow” space but at current course and speed, the overflow will soon exceed the home cellar.

Kicking myself for not building a bigger home cellar. Could have built for another 400 with minimal additional expense. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

-af

Keep 50 or so at home but need to expand my at home storage. Given my offsite storage is bonded and I buy most of my wines in packs of 6 or 12, I don’t get enough variety. If I had actual access to the offsite storage then I could bring home a few bottles from a case and have a greater assortment with a 50 bottle limit.

The only self-control I have over wine purchasing is refusing offsite storage. I do, however, agree with Robert on Klondike bars.

My offsite was also supposed to be for overflow and to receive shipments and I eventually had to get a second bin. The check on future buying is that my wife has refused to let me get a third bin.

Currently have 2000+ at home in a cellar and two wine fridges with 500 offsite. Offsite is primary for the longest of the long term holds but I need to bring home some that have reached their time.

Around 250 - 300 at home, divided between large(r) wine fridge, small(er) wine fridge, and adult beverages fridge in the garage. The adult beverages fridge is too cold to be ideal, so I try to only put whites/sparklers intended for near-term consumption in there. My offsite has limited hours, and takes significant time to go to, so I try to stay well-stocked at home. I visit offsite as infrequently as possible (3 to 5 times a year, with 1 or 2 “big pulls” per year).

A couple of hundred bottles at home. Lots of brandy, as warehouse is not licenses for spirits. My warehouse is ten minutes from home, otherwise I would keep more in the house.

Keep about 140 at home in a wine fridge with 3x that offiste. The location is about 25 minutes away so it accomplishes two things: 1. It ensures I won’t impulsively open wine at home that is nowhere near ready to drink and 2. I don’t go up to the facility to “play” but about once every 6 weeks or so.

With regards to what others have said about organizing the offsite by drinkability, I installed large cardboard tubes in my locker which hold 2 bottles deep. I then labeled the tubes as a grid (A-Z, 1-20) and then set those as locations in CT. I’ve seen several other lockers at my facility with a similar setup so I’m surprised so many here seem to prefer cardboard boxes which are much more difficult to access and require more frequent reorging.

I recently converted to tubes (but can go 3 deep) and use the same alphanumeric “binning” in CT. It’s awesome. So much better than pulling boxes in/out whenever I want to find something!

Aren’t the boxes more space efficient than tubes? I’m still figuring out the best way to store the wine in my locker, but so far I’m liking a sturdy cardboard wine case turned on it’s side.

Significantly less so in my case. Think about the tubes, they’re extremely efficient packing the bottles in a honeycomb, not to mention that boxes are too large to fit in even integers in each dimension in the locker, leaving a lot of wasted space. In my locker i calculated maximum 333 = 27 cases in boxes. In tubes i can fit 120* 3 deep = 30 cases and have a little space on top and can still fit 6 case boxes more in front of the tubes if I really want to.

I’ve got about 300-320 at home and then about another 500 in storage. In my case I wanted a well-diversified stash at home that can scratch almost any type of itch I have over cover almost any type of cuisine I might cook.

I’m actually really happy with it considering I started it from scratch just 4 months ago. Great diversity across red, white and sparkling. Diversity in terms across countries/regions - French, Italian, Spanish, German, Austrian. Even have been able to sneak some Oregon in - very favorable pricing with the exchange rate being down. And within regions I’ve done pretty well - for example, Burgundy, Chablis and Beaujolais, within the Rhone I have both Northern (Cote Rotie, Cornas) and Southern (CdP, Vacqueyras).

And when I buy wines now I buy in 3’s at a minimum, and if I like the wine 6’s and 12’s. I figure it will all get drunk at some point and I just don’t like having to reload. Despite almost all of these being producers that were new to me as of 4 months ago, I’ve had fantastic luck. Only a handful with styles counter to what I normally enjoy.

Contrast that to 4 years ago where my cellar was very heavily slanted towards California Cab and Pinot. I was stuck - lots of wines that I kind of enjoyed, or that simply needed way more time.

Infinitely happier with where I’m at now.

My offsite storage is a 6 bottle fridge in my office. Does that count?

48 cases offsite
32 cases onsite wine fridge
20 cases onsite in room temp racks

I keep about 50-60 bottles in the apartment and the rest elsewhere.