Impensata - Kinsman winemaker Abreu vineyard manager

Mikael- I don’t like you. Same killer team of Roland, Abreu and Kinsman. Just signed up, not sure I will buy as I wasn’t overly excited about the previous offerings from the property/vineyard. I will be curious of the vineyard’s elevation with this team vs previous brands of Staglin and Heinz- a try first for me as the team is amazing but previous offerings were not exceptional. Look forward to tasting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Harsh!

I was kidding

1 Like

[berserker.gif] I find it ironic when Ryan is upset at someone else being an enabler.

I resemble that remark :slight_smile:!

Doesn’t Staglin come from Bella Oaks? Former source for old Heitz wines?

Never mind, just reread post and saw that pointed out.

Where have the grapes been going in between these releases? Aren’t there gaps between the Heitz and Staglin bottling. And then now?

There was a small break from 08-11 between the last Heitz and first Staglin release, and when Barney passed away. The property was then sold by the Gargiulos (who inherited it from Belle and Barney, and may have used some of the fruit) to the current owner, Suzanne Deal Booth. They immediately went through a vineyard rejuvenation process (biodynamics, organics, etc.). Ultimately, there has been wine produced off Bella Oaks every vintage Suzanne has owned the vineyard, but the decision to release the '18 was intentional based on the change in style and quality.

Also worth noting, this will be the first time in 40 years that Bella Oaks will be an estate vineyard vs selling fruit - leading to more consistency, quality and brand development (which we all love!) Suzanne’s background is also cultural preservation, so this is definitely a great step for a historic Napa property.

@Ryan you A$$ :wink:

1 Like

Mikael- good insight, sounds exciting. The vineyard management change should yield major dividends. How long has David worked on the vineyard (did he start in ‘18 or previous vintages)?

Will there be multiple offerings or a single estate and last, do you know release price and date?

Mikael- you are so so mean. I will need to drown out my sorrow tonight with a 2016 Accendo. I think that may help but I know the 2018 olive oil would help even more. Just throwing it out there… on a more serious note appreciate the insight. Are you part of the sales team for Bella Oaks as well?

1 Like

+1 for the Accendo Olive Oil!

Englehard Vineyard is in the Franz Valley area of Calistoga/Diamond Mtn. Franz Valley is a little zone with a history of good wines. It’s essentially off Petrified Forest Rd in Calistoga, adjacent and below Diamond Mtn. It’s cooler than Diamond Mtn and there are some nice, rocky pockets. A neighbor to Englehard is what use to be called "Harris Estates,’ if some of you remember that brand a decade ago. Another is Heritage School and the largest vineyard is Grgich’s “Miljenko” vineyard, which produced much of their best wines. Two other good estates, The Vineyardist and Theorem, are from the area, although those two vineyards are higher up and straddle the true Diamond Mtn District.

Realm use to get Englehard for a few years but it never resulted in a single-vineyard wine so they let it go. Hobel sourced it for several years and then eventually it was sold. It will be interesting to see how this project develops.

3 Likes

Thanks Roy, much appreciated!

Looks like Maybach may source from here for 2019. I saw there is a 2019 Maybach Ecotone on Jeb Dunnuck but no access so can’t see the details.

Excited to try a new Maybach, hopefully price will be in line with his other offerings.

Yes Maybach is releasing a 2019 Ecotone which should be amazing! Headed up to Napa to taste as much of the Thorevilos offerings as I can. Will report back on thoughts.

2 Likes

Jeb rated both the 2019 Materium and Amoenus a couple notches higher than the Ecotone.

1 Like

Thanks Owen. Curious what he had to say?

Just signed up! Curious to see more about the vineyards/ wines. Thanks for the recommendation!

Had this last week—if you signed up early good on you! If you didn’t, do, and don’t miss out.

Michael- had this as well with kinsman. Awesome juice. Had both the Cabernet and Merlot. Couldn’t agree more with your assessment.

Why can’t I hate expensive wine?

Had a 13 Hobel Engelhard Vineyard last week. Was really good as I wasn’t familiar with it. Excited for this release.

Anyone know when the release for this is?

1 Like