Impensata - Kinsman winemaker Abreu vineyard manager

I believe mid Q1. I can’t wait- these are going to be pretty stellar.

So Abreu’s team will continue to farm/manage ex-Thorevilos vineyard? Very interesting. If I’m honest, I do love Nigel’s wines but I was a little bummed that when Accendo took over that it would be folded into their blend. Certainly fantastic for the blend (of which I’m a buyer), but Thorevilos is one of my favorite vineyards in Napa – up there with Eisele & Dalla Valle, probably.

I feel the same way as Vice Versa blended it as have most others at this point. I, like you, have Thorevilos (and Eisele as well as MacDonald’s To Kalon) as my top vineyard (or was it Brad’s magic with the wine it’s hard to tell :slight_smile:.

2/1/22 - inaugural release…pretty excited!

This is the one I have waited the longest for- could not be more excited!

Just saw the email come through. Definitely excited for this one!

First thanks for pointing this direction. BTW - these wines have been reviewed. AG 2018 cab 97, mer 94, 2019 cab 97, mer 93 and a red blend from las posadas 98

2 Likes

Projected costs?

Guessing $275/bottle minimum.

I would think higher than Bella Oaks and less than Abreu.

I would hope less than 275 per.

Bella Oaks is $275. I don’t see this being any lower.

They have two different wines though. Not as historic of a vineyard. You think a merlot will go for 275 or more and a wine from a not well known vineyard?

Three if you believe AG. If compared to Bella Oaks and Kinsman should be south of that number. If compared to various Melka and other projects who knows. I totally agree re: merlot. We will find out soon enough!

The top merlots (IMO not many great ones in Napa/US so a killer one is very much in need) are very expensive, whether Colgin, Kapcsandy, Screaming Eagle, etc and this merlot is from Thorevilos which one could argue (right or wrong) has a damn strong pedigree as well. Add to that it is arguably one of the hottest winemakers, top vineyard manager and consultant it should demand a high price point. I beleive their guiding principle is a Napa version of Masseto/Le Pin/Vieux Chateau Certan which if that does ever get achieved or even comes close would be killer.

Yes Thorevilos is a great vineyard. The 2002 Abreu is one of my favorite napa wines of the last 20 years, but i dont think of it for Merlot (though i know there was a healthy amount in the blend). The owner will make a pricing decision and with less than 300 cases of Cab and 100 cases of merlot they will probably sell out in many scenarios. and i will wish them well as a huge Nigel fan. But if we are at or above bella oaks level i will probably pass on the Cab and will certainly do so on the Merlot. And i might later think it was a mistake, like only getting 1 3 pack of the Rhad and none of the Anjea in the 2016 vintage of Kinsman.

If there cab is around or below 250 I might bite, but not for the merlot at that price.

Looks like an 18 Merlot, 18 proprietary blend in this release, 3rd wine in 2023 is a CF/CS blend it appears. That’s what’s on the website at least.

I had the same experience with the 2003 (now on a decline but wow up until 1-2 years ago). Abreu wines are simply some of the best.

I hear ya. It’s not for everyone and there are plenty of wines out there. I happen to love Thorevilos, Howell Mtn and Calistoga vineyards and the entire winemaking/growing team so it’s right in my wheelhouse. Maybe you will get up there soon to taste (I am trying to taste again in February).

I think that 2023 wine must be from the top of Howell Mountain vineyard they replanted. Don’t know anything about it besides that so not much help.