Impossible meat chili

Dupe

IMO, salt is the #1 issue in processed vegan food. A shake shack single burger is 850 mg of sodium, a double is 1840. Most Veggie Grill (a popular Vegan chain using plant based protein) has 10 sandwhiches on the menu - 3 with sodium under 1000 mg (comparable to a single burger shake shack), 5 have a whopping 2000mg plus (one as high as 2600mg plus, although that’s not nearly as high as Shake Shack’s highest sodium item).

Take sugar and fat out of the food, and they’ll make it up with sodium. So agree, health claims are questionable for many processed foods claiming such beneft.

Great idea. I have not had that for over 30 years. I think I’ll go for that. The recipe looks like it’s all in the ingredients with not a lot of fancy technique to master.

1 Like

Because we keep Kosher, it is also nice to be able to make a “dairy” dish that should use meat. In the case of the Bobotie, the curry and other spices are so fragrant and wonderful, so whether ground beef or Impossible, it is just darned tasty. And then the custard on top can use dairy. I have made each of these recipes once with great success:

Agree 100%

Agree on the Cali Cab thing too FWIW.

It’s very simple. Restate it as “I like the taste of meat but would rather not eat something that requires killing to prepare”.

Plus Eric’s point on being able to have “meat” with a dairy meal. I hadn’t even considered that.

1 Like

I think something like chili is a good application for these products if your not a meat eater. The other spices and flavors will likely overtake what I find to be a chemical/metallic taste in both impossible and beyond. I made smash burgers with both and besides the taste mentioned above, I found both products to be incredibly rich and heavy. At least compared to the fresh grass feed beef that I usually use for burgers.

Yes, both products are targeting 20% fat, and they achieve it with coconut. It is very rich. I hope someday they have a 90/10 option if one wants something leaner.

I made the Bobotie with 12 ounces of Impossible Meat and it was astoundingly good. The other people thought it was fantastic. Thank you Eric. This is going on our regular dinner rotation. Whether we use fake meat or real beef is up in the air. I created my own recipe using a combination of recipes I found on the Internet. The only fundamental adjustment I made was to omit all salt because the fake meat has lots of salt in it. Despite the bread (I used some leftover raisin Challah) and the craisins I threw in, plus the high level of carbs in onions and other vegetable products, it did not create a blip in my blood sugar level.

2 Likes

I am so happy to hear that. My daughter is doing an overseas (high school) semester starting in January in South Africa which is why I found that recipe. It really is quite delicious!

As I mentioned, the Impossible grind works well for Shepherd’s Pie as well (and again, dairy/meat thing, it is really hard to make very good mashed potatoes without some dairy, so the Impossible is a nice twist to accommodate both kashrut and a vegetarian daughter).

Astoundingly good on the Hack scale is quite high praise.

1 Like

By the way . . . I gave up Kashrut when I had that first cheeseburger in 1964 and never looked back.

I grew up Reform, and you should have SEEN the size of the shrimp cocktail bar that my parents had at my Bar Mitzvah.

I took up Kashrut as part of the deal with my eventual wife who grew up Conservative. She is worth it and worth keeping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This made me LOL. One of my former co-workers and his wife were both raised Kashrut growing up but became Reform after leaving the nest. When their son was around 12 he asked if they could become Kashrut. Both mom and dad said they were willing but it would mean that he had to give up shrimp and crab. He asked to think on it. The next morning he basically said “never mind”.

For me it is easy. We have a very strict kosher kitchen at home. However, when I am out of the house, I can eat what I want. So I have the best of both worlds.
My wife is flexible enough that she eats parve (neutral which includes allowed fish) and dairy out of the house but not meat. And she never eats treif.

I don’t like Starbucks but students give me tons of gift cards.
The Impossible Sausage breakfast sandwich is actually ok.
Well, edible and not disgusting at least.

I’d be willing to try it in a recipe.

My mother was strictly kosher at home for all but the last few weeks of her life (she passed away at 96). At the very end, she got tired of trying to explain to the home health care workers the difference between meat and milk cutlery and said that if God wasn’t satisfied with what she had done for the first 96 years, he would just have to punish her for the last two weeks.

1 Like

I cook a variety of things with Impossible products. I also ONCE ate that breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. It was shockingly greasy and rich. Pretty gross really.

This!

I haven’t done chili but as an omnivore who also cooks for vegetarians much of the time, I acknowledge that the Impossible burger is increasingly substituted for ground beef in my cooking because it performs in a familiar way (use just like beef and expect similar taste), but I definitely feel better after the meal.

I get the argument that if you are using a “fake meat” then you are making an impure vegetarian meal or compromising the original recipe. EDITED TO ADD: but don’t worry about that too much.

What I won’t do is work hard on a meal that Folks won’t enjoy. Sometimes a meat substitute is a great option!

Vegetarian recipes for meals that that traditionally included meat (like chili, I think!) may be good with no meat at all as some have alluded to. IMO these are pretty different recipes tho prolly something many will enjoy. Meat substitutes may get you closer to the “original” (or what the diner might expect) and may actually be better enjoyed.