Inexpensive Bordeaux

James, I just said that I preferred 2010, not that it is superior to 2009! I’ve got loads of the latter too, but I don’t find them ready yet. I had a Larose-Trintaudon last week - still very primary and too tiggerish for me, but that’s just my taste. Maybe in time I’ll think otherwise but for now, I prefer the 2010 structure.

Worst. Frontario. Recommendation. Ever.

Drank a couple 2009 Caronne Ste Gemme recently. Drinking very well now. Glad I bought a case.

The 2015 Château Malescasse is worth trying for $19.99. Kinda tight now but enjoyable on day two.

Part of what makes Bordeaux great is the regions ability to produce so many, inexpensive wines in large quantities, in a wide variety of styles. For some tips on wines you might know, or not, these all value wines I follow almost every vintage - Bordeaux Value Wine Guide, Small Lesser Known Wines/Vineyards

I thought the 2015 Chantegrive was a great QPR. After tasting, bought a half case at $17 each. It is forward, but has some smoke, earth and espresso. Great wine - no - but tastes like a Bordeaux and the 2015 vintage, and does not taste manipulated.

Ha!!!
I was snookered in an a’la sierra carche fashion…this wine was the tits, gorgeous old school classic 12.5%alc. bordeaux, and cheap as hell…I couldn’t get enough of it… then it sells out and a second batch is released (same vintage) but w/ a different colored higher toned red foil(Alfert’s sample)…and holy crap…this batch was absolute plonk.

I have actually seen this one other time, but with a burgundy…a Fredrick Esmonin gevrey chambertain village… I was buying them from whole foods…first batch was quite nice…then they sell through it, and a second batch is released…(same wine, same vintage), but minor variation to the font size and lettering on the labeling…this batch was absolute watered down plonk juice…some sneaky shit sure does happen behind the scenes.

I broke up with Marc after this scandal. We made up over a 1982 Talbot.

Try 2015 Chateau Recougne. Delicious at under $25!

The Cambon La Pelouse hardly changed on the second day. Held up well.

Thanks for all the recommendations. There are two Total Wines near me. One has the 15 and 16 Capbern. I’ll try to pick up each to compare. The other has the 14 Lanessan. I’ll ok for some of the others mentioned too, including Caronne.

Angelo, can you tell me more about your experience with this wine? It looks like it’s only about $13/bottle around here in NJ. I would love to find a $13 Bordeaux that I would look forward to drinking…

Heck, for $13 I’ll just go grab a few and try it…

Senejac is my favorite sub-$20 red Bordeaux.

I agree about Senejac - both the 15 and 16 are available and have been getting good reviews. Like others here, I bought 12 of the half bottles of the 16 from Last Bottle and have already had three and think it very nice medium bodied with a little energy and rich fruit - a very good QPR. [thumbs-up.gif] I recently bought a case of 750s from MacArthur Beverages for $16 per and a case of the 15 at $15 per from Gordon’s - so get these while they last. This is clearly the best under $20 Bordeaux I have had recently. [cheers.gif]

PS, I have now had 5-6 different $25-$35 2015 Bordeaux that have arrived in the last six months and have found most to have medium-firm structure, rich fruit and good longer-term potential. Many 2015s may start closing down somewhat near term but results will vary. [drinkers.gif]

The 2015 Senejac has clammed up in my opinion and it’s now time to leave it alone. Thanks for the tip on the 16, will give one of mine a go.

I opened a 2014 at the end of November and had a similar impression - it wasn’t showing much. Didn’t give it all that much air, to be fair, though.

The 2015 stood out to me as a great value at a UGC Bordeaux tasting last January.

I really don’t know much about it. I was introduced to it by a friend who has a great palate (and a serious cellar) and have been buying it fairly regularly. We once drank a 1970 Recougne from his cellar from mag and it was still going strong.

Among names not yet mentioned, I like Charmail, Fontenil, Bonalgue, d’Escurac.

+1 on the 2014 de Landaris. We bought two cases for less than $15 per bottle. Coufran is a good value for around $20, and if you go up to $25, the 2015 Lilian Ladouys is excellent.

Ed

Cantemerle is a perennial favorite bargain Bordeaux but the price in our market (Toronto) is creeping up. Clarke (Listrac) is a relatively good buy and can do quite well. I bought a case of 2005 and it is still going strong. Beaumont (Haut Medoc) is a very good buy in the $20s in our market. Some vintages can be a bit lighter in body but it is still tasty and does shine in better vintages. I recently opened an 09 Beaumont beside 09 Saffredi and 09 Il Carboniaone. The Beaumont stood up really well against the Saffredi and Carbonaione with one person even choosing it as her favorite.