Inexpensive Sparklers

Cleto Chiarli Brut Rose.
100% Pinot Noir really well made. Fine sparkle, persistent bubbles. Great fruit/acidity balance.

+1

Volage - Cremant de Loire made from Cabernet Franc. Very well received BLIND at a dinner of serious amateurs two weeks ago. Better that those that I have tasted except maybe the Albrecht, which I have not had in a while. Beats the pants off Korbel, Cooks, Freixenet, Zardetto, Minonetto and Gruet.

We drank a bottle of the Costco champagne last week. Chardonnay forward so a bit sweet but quite quaffable for $20.

This is a category where I generally get the least satisfaction from bottom fishing.

However, the J Laurens Cremant de Limoux Brut is pretty good and for $14 beats anything else I’ve tried under $30.

I’m in a similar boat, kind of. I love sparkling wine, but am always looking for good/great sparkers that are inexpensive enough to drink often or on a weekday.

Here are some good ones I’ve had for $30 or less (I think I found them all for $25 or less) along with a summary of my notes/thoughts (full disclosure: I prefer richer/fruitier/creamier/brioche-ier flavor profiles over crisp/minerality):

• Gramona Imperial Brut Gran Reserva Cava 2011 - it’s complex and has some good qualities (the yeast and almond flavors and the fairly foamy finish), but the bubbles open a bit stronger than I’d like and there’s more minerality than I’d like, especially on the finish. I think someone that likes the traditional Cava grapes would enjoy this significantly more than I did, but it’s not really the style I prefer. Still, this is good and has great complexity for the price. 86

Parigot & Richard Crémant de Bourgogne Blanc de Blancs Brut NV [disgorged 8/18] - Very good or better mouth feel and solid, although fairly simple/generic, blanc de blanc flavor; fairly balanced. Enjoyable and good, but nothing special, other than the very good mouthfeel. … gets foamier and a slight hint of cream as it opens up over time. 88

La Perle Brut Cremant de Bourgogne (NV) - Really nice flavor profile, with good mix of fruit (lemon) and some flavors the I believe are from the lees/aging (yeast, almond, and a hint of smoke) ;no significantly noticeable minerality. Good perlage/mouthfeel (persistent but not aggressive) and nice acidity to keep it lively. 89

If you want to extend the budget a bit to get something nicer or for when you have company or something, I highly suggest the following Champagne, which can be found for $40 or less and punches well above its weight class.

• Pierre Moncuit Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut (NV) - Really great. Very nice balance on the palate in terms of mouthfeel and flavor. Fine bubbles with an appropriate strength on the palate. The cream is the most noticeable flavor for me, although not exceptionally strong. Great foamy and creamy finish. There is some minerality, but it’s balanced very nicely and adds complimentary element. 92
2 Likes

Faustino Rosado Cava is an excellent buy from Rioja.

I had a chance to try Filipa Pato’s “3B” rose and BdB this week.

Both are under $20, totally dry, clean, and understated.

She makes these from traditional Portuguese grapes that I am not familiar with (the BdB is Maria Gomes, Bical, and Cercial and the rose is Baga and Bical) and gets precise flavors with none of the off-notes that sink so many entry level sparklers.

These make me want to buy a pallet and invite my 100 closest friends to party in the yard. (Not gonna happen anytime soon, but a guy can dream.)

For the price Mumm Brut Prestige is the best under $20. I have paid $13.99 recently.

1 Like

I picked up a Carboniste Sparkling Albarino for $27.50 the other week. Not your normal one, but really enjoyed it. Sadly, no longer at the local shop! Good for that bit funky millennial-friendly wine :wink:

1 Like

Our neighbor must have cases of that socked away. She gives us a bottle every holiday and birthday. It’s drinkable, unlike most inexpensive sparklers that leave an aftertaste reminiscent of artificial sweeteners.
The best QPRs in sparkling wines we’ve had over the past few years have been Portuguese. Sorry I can’t remember names, but availability is so sporadic it probably wouldn’t help.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, Peter. See post #28 for a game-changer. 8^>

+1 on Domaine Carneros. Another one I found recently at Total Wine is Paula Kornell. Cheers!

My house sparkler right now is Filipa Pato 3B. About $15.

I always look for inexpensive cremants; Loire/Bordeaux/Bourgogne/Savoie as a lot of those can be well under $20 and usually pretty good.

3 Likes

Trader Joe’s brut rosè is a solid daily at $10. Unfortunately, it’s only available during the holidays (Nov-Jan). I always pick up a case at that time.

Henri Champliau Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé is terrific, usually $25 or less.

Not sure how widely distributed, but west coast exclusive sparking house in my back yard is Treveri. Washington Sparkling Wines | Treveri Cellars | Yakima WA

Everything under $20 and I see it at retail sometimes <$15. I’ve tried them all and all enjoyable; my favorite might be the Riesling, the Syrah is a bit odd just because it’s hard to wrap your head around.

1 Like

Chris - have you tried anything of theirs that’s less sweet/more dry?

+1 on Cava from Gramona and Raventos I Blanc, and let me add Mestres.

1 Like