In'n'Out Burger Fries

Or too long a decant…

More likely ladybug taint…

5 Guys puts their very hot fries in a paper bag and closes the bag before you get it. In my experience that tends to make them go pretty limp. But greasy? Not that I’ve seen.

Nathan’s fries

Yes, that’s a procedural flaw. I think in general their fries are more susceptible to erectile dysfunction. They are thick cut and just don’t seem to get as much outer crisp. That might be due to the fact that the potatoes are wet and/or the fact that they use peanut oil. Not sure, but they aren’t as crispy. They do taste more potatoey (?) which is a plus, but the texture leaves them mid-pack to me. Of course one also gets a different experience with all fries if they are eaten immediately as opposed to waiting even five minutes.

He didn’t age them long enough.

You don’t get to be a Dame by being stupid.

This is where I think Shake Shack excels. The fries are crinkle cut, true, but they are consistently crispy on the outside and not wet on the inside. Key being “consistent”. Heck you can’t even get that with multiple bottles of the same wine.

Let us start off that the fries here in the US are too short and too thin. The proper English chip is a magnificent thing where you can actually taste the potato beneath the crunch.

As for fast food burgers, why bother? Our local hole in the wall serves a great burger that puts the well done hockey pucks being talked about here to shame.

I don’t know. Something about those soggy fries with the animal style fixins are actually quite good. You gotta use a fork though.

Of the chains, my favorite fries are Five Guys, by a wide margin.

Atlanta-specific, but best fast-food fries anywhere are at The Varsity.

As an Atlanta native who has loved The Varsity for more than 40 years, I regret that I can’t agree. They can be great if they are cooked enough, but too often they are undercooked, greasy, and soggy.

I had a burger and fries at 5 Guys last week. Picked them up from the counter immediately and opened the bag quickly. They were really good. I wouldn’t call them crispy but they were not limp at all. Length is good and quantity excellent. I only have two issues: 1. They need a bun capable of holding up to the toppings they offer, and 2. $17+ for a double bacon cheeseburger, regular fries and a small drink is what?.. TWICE the price of In-n-Out?? WAY better, I think, but twice???

This comes up every time with the fast food comparisons- There really are different price tiers… with McD’s, In n Out, Burger King, etc, on one tier and then Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc, on the higher tier.

In and Out and McDonald’s/BK aren’t in the same tier, in my opinion.

JD

Yes, good point, they do need to be cooked correctly. I moved so I’m probably more nostalgic than I would be if I were in town. When they’re on, they’re very similar to Five Guys. The Onion Rings are amazing too.

Five Guys is closer to 2.5x the price of a similar order at In N Out.

Depending on the location, In N Out’s combo pricing can actually come in cheaper than comparable combos from the McD’s, BK’s, Jack in the Box, etc of the world. INO definitely is not noticeably more expensive than the mainstream fast food joints.