is Nuits les SAINT GEORGES worthy of grand cru status?

Price certainly has some correlation with quality, but so much of that is tradition and history. I haven’t been impressed with Roumier at all in recent years, and certainly not for the price the wine currently commands. Mugnier is another story. Even looking at the plain village wines, here are the current prices (just a quick look at WS pro) Roumier $275, Mugnier $225, Vogue $185, Barthod $99. It’s hard to assess the wines at such a young age but my general recollections on them are that I’m not sure I think the Roumier was any better at all than the Barthod, which was a fantastic wine, much less at 3x the price.

I certainly agree traditionally Barthod’s wines have not been as good as Roumier, and in my view nothing has changed. If you like Barthod’s wines, that’s great, but my view is also in no way unusual.

IMO LSG is not even the best NSG 1er Cru. But maybe it was back then when Gouges was mayor

If LSG would be GC there would be the same kind of discussion as with Clos Vougeot, Echezeaux, Charmes Chambertin, Corton … WHY GC, why the whole vineyard, is Vaucrins better etc. …
imho LSG is lacking a certain something for GC: finesse

friends,

Anyone having had any experience with CHICOTOT’s version of LES SAINT GEORGES?
SINCERELY JOHAN

Michel Bettane loves Chicotot wines.

1 Like