Issues with Grassl glasses breaking?

Not with Grassl, but my wife and I have already each broken one Glasvin while washing (on top of the one that arrived broken) — those things scare me!

We have six glasses we use regularly for about 15 months now. The glasses are awesome and so far no breaks. We never handwash. Always dishwashier.

Same here, actually 2/4 of my Glasvins have broken in the dishwasher not even hand washing!

Solution to glassware breakage. Works for even 1961 Cheval Blanc.

Ok
Very confusing as to the best way to wash.
We have purchased and broken 18 GG gold. Some in the dishwasher and some by hand washing. Also one setting down on the table.
We signed up for the Grand Reserve card in order to get Grassl glasses. We received the 2 Liberte immediately. We used points to order 2 Cru and 2 1855’s.
We were concerned about using the dishwasher so I have been hand washing all the Grassl glasses the last six weeks. I spray the powerwash dawn that Chris mentioned. I swirl and manually massage the inside and then let them air dry. So far no broken glasses.

We are very happy with the results.
No broken glasses and the glasses are sparkling clean!

We love all the Grassl glasses!
The 1855’s are our favorites. That said we are happy to have an assorted dozen on the way!

1 Like

Can you put Grassl and Zalto glasses on the bottom rack of the dishwasher? The glasses are too tall for my top rack.

I mean right now. I wouldn’t mind some nice machine made glasses.

We (I) broke all 4 GG Gold’s that I bought within a year of purchasing. Mostly stem/base breaks. Replaced with Liberte’s over two years ago and we’re still pristine with those…

We put the Grassl in the dishwasher, but it’s a new high end Bosch with a top rack that has one side with holders for wine glasses. The old Asko couldn’t accommodate wine glasses so I used to hand wash only. I wash the wine glasses with the regular load but we typically have light loads.
Any one in need of a new dishwasher should check out the threads here.
I could never get my decanters clean but finally put one in the dishwasher and now it’s like new.
The Bosch has water softener, but I don’t use a rinse aid.
Who uses a rinse aid and why? Yes, I know it’s recommended by Bosch but the less chemicals the better.

Use my Grassl glasses 3-4 days a week for over a year now. Always dishwasher (Bosch). Have broken 2. One mystery break in the dishwasher and one related to human stupidity. I have given these glasses as gifts to friends and they all are scared to use them for fear of breakage. It doesn’t matter how many times I explain to them that they are more durable than they appear, they just can’t seem to grasp it.

We put them mostly in the bottom rack. But we have a relatively new Miele that is designed to accommodate wineglasses. Never had a problem – and we rarely use the special crystal setting, but instead just have them in with the rest of the dishes on the normal cycle.

I will also say that we have some of the early Grassl glasses – so I guess the lighter more delicate ones. I have not weighed them nor even held them side by side (we have two new ones, for example, from the MC deal). We have not had any breakage from normal dishwasher use with any of them.

For dishwasher, I think two things are important: 1) what dishwasher you have and how the racks are set (i.e. do they hold the glasses and other things in place) and 2) how you load it – i.e. don’t place a heavy bowl against the wine glass, etc.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
We are sending you another 2.
Regards,
David

Hi Brian - privately messaging you.
Regards,
David

No dishwasher here either, well my Wife. [wink.gif] We’ve broken 2 or three 1855s while drying. Casualties of the hobby. Broke a brand new Glasvin drying it the day it arrived.

I broke one of my new Crus within a couple weeks of receiving them. I was handwashing, only half paying attention, and snapped the stem in half. I have used the dishwasher with good results, other than water spots. Any tips for those who use the dishwasher exclusively for avoiding water spots?

We love our 1855s and Crus. I have only broken them hand washing/drying. We wash in the dishwasher (not a fancy dishwasher either) every time and have never had an issue. They are far more durable than they appear.

I’ve been putting my Gabriel Glas and Glasvin in the bottom rack of my (very ordinary) dishwasher for years and they come out great, zero breakage.

My clumsy hands fumbling around cleaning and drying the glasses is far more breakage risk than the dishwasher. I don’t even think it’s close.

With our new fancy Miele we have not had that problem. We do use a rinse aid that Miele provides – but I think even when we don’t we have not had a problem. Water spots may be related to how hard or soft your water is? I guess the other idea is to had dry them after, but that runs the risk of the hand washing – though I guess if it is done the next morning with no alcohol in the blood that may make a difference. :slight_smile:

Gravity killed one of the Cru’s I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that’s the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that’s the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don’t want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic…and now the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

I have six Liberte glasses that I bought at the same time…and none of them has broken. If/when they do, I will be buying more…from Chris, because he does things the right way (in my book).

2 Likes

I’ve also not accepted any replacements under the Grassl policy, even though Chris offered. Basically because most/all of the breakage were our own fault from being clumsy and from choosing to hand wash when it’s clearly not the recommended method.