It's Carlisle Day: 08/12/10

I left all the Syrah on the table, I have so much already and am trying to save some money. Even with leaving the Syrah it was still a pretty pricey order.

Does it seem like the shipping went up this go around?

From what I can tell, shipping went up approximately $1 for each order amount less than 8 bottles, but then shipping went down about $2 for bottles 9 - 12 from 2009, but the amounts are the same as Spring 2010.

Im wondering why I was offered zero James Berry this year, when in the past I have bought all offered, 3 of 2006 and 2 in 2007. I order at least 2 cases a year, but cant take it all anymore as prices/shipping/tax have crept up. As a long time supporter I would have hoped to keep my preferred bottles and let others or new listers take the offerings I have passed on. Im confused on this one … did anyone else who has ordered the JB in the past have this happen this go around?

I purchased James Berry last year (first time offered) and did not receive an allocation this year. If you read the notes that were attached, he mentions wickedly low yields which probably equates to no soup for you or I. I’m going to wish list a bottle and hope for the best.

100 cs last year vs 69 this year. So it still doesnt add up production wise. I emailed Mike and basically from what I can piece together is that what particular individual wines you order does not seem to equate into allocations. You are put into groupings based on how much total wine you order and given a set allocation based on that grouping. The only thing I can imagine is that more people are now ordering more wine in total than me (my purchases have been steady) and have bumped me down a tier or two, along with the fact that there are 30 less cases this year.

Although I would like to be able to say I only want x y and z wines, thats not how the system works and I can appreciate the fact that it would take more work to individually allocate ect. Ive not ordered my full allocation in a couple of years thinking its better to share with wishlisters ect. but its seems like it’s better to order it all and share outside the list. I didnt mean my post in any way as a rant, Ive had nothing but good customer experience with Carlisle, Im just happy to now have a better understanding on how the allo system works (and sorry I didnt know earlier).

Would anybody like to share some of my order thats available? Local preference given.

Robert –

I didn’t take your post as a rant – I was quite glad to see it in fact, as initially I wasn’t sure why I didn’t get an offer of JBV either. I read the note field and figured that had to be the reason or at least part of it.

My biggest concern now – will my first harvest check be here by the 24th?

I’m out of town until next Thursday, without access to the email this goes to. Anyone have the deadline for ordering handy?
Thanks,
Alan

8/24

This would be my third or fourth Carlisle offering, but I didn’t get the email this time – I wonder if offers are going out in multiple tiers? I hear a lot of talk about people trimming mailing lists in the name of fiscal prudence – I’m the opposite situation, where the wineries keep trimming me! It’s uncanny how many mailing lists I have “fallen off” just because they forgot about me, lost interest in me, whatever. I never skip/decline an offering, and I always buy a substantial amount of my allocation (if not all of it). Or, with some producers (Saxum comes to mind), about half the time there is simply none left for me, since I tend to see the email anywhere between a few hours and a full day after it hits my inbox.

I used to get upset about all of this, but then one day, in a moment of clarity, I realized that if a hobby is making me upset for any reason, it’s probably not a very good hobby. If mailing list wines are unattainable – focus on wines that you can obtain. I foresee more of my wine purchases being acquired via good old retail -– the only reliable method of purchasing! [cheers.gif]

It’s 8/24, but my order form says that your offer is a projection only and not a guaranteed allocation. I would keep that in mind.

I got my e-mail three hours after it was shown as sent. E-mail Mike and he will send you your order form. It’s inconceivable that you would have dropped off the list.

David

Some folks have guaranteed allocations based, I believe, on time on mailing list. I have been purchasing since the '01 vintage and my allocation is guaranteed although I was not offered the JB. I tend to focus on the SVD wines and as such my overall volume is lower than folks who load up on cases of the appellation offerings.

Check your PM’s. I’m interested in the syrah and can arrange LV pick-up when available.

A Good Samaritan Wine Berserker pointed my post out to Mike Officer, who sent me an email this morning with the required forms and an assurance that my business is indeed valued. I guess the initial offer email made a wrong turn somewhere out there in cyberspace.
To whoever that was, thanks for doing that. Now I’m back on track to max out my Carlisle allocation. [thankyou.gif]

did anyone get the sorry you didn’t make it e-mail? I would hate to fall off the waitlist.

Nothing here.

Those emails have gone out with the Winter Releases, I have gotten a few of of them, but I have never received one for the summer release. Perhaps they decide in January if you make the cut for the year.

FYI
Hi Bob,

Somebody told me you were concerned you fell off the waiting list. Certainly not the case. We only remove people from the waiting list who asked to be removed. We have your signup from 12/9/09. We only send out the “Dear John” e-mail to waiting list customers once a year in late December/early January. We figure people don’t want to receive the e-mail twice a year for 4 to 5 years and that those wondering about their status with regards to the summer pre-release will contact us directly.

My apologies if our policies created any concern for you.

Regards,

Mike Officer
Carlisle Winery
P.O. Box 556
Santa Rosa, CA 95402
(707) 566-7700
(707) 566-7200 Fax
http://www.carlislewinery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any insight into the Carignane? I don’t think that I’ve ever had one from any source.

I just got e-mail from them and everything I wish listed with the regular allocation order was approved! Yes!!! flirtysmile