Jadot Clos Saint Denis 1996

Mark – the 96 Jadot horizontal is coming to fruition, and I wanted to see if you remembered what air treatment you gave the CSD? Or had thoughts on Bonnes Mares, Charmes Chambertin, Le Chambertin, Clos de Beze, Clos de la Roche, and Clos Vougeot?

For me when we did a big Jadot 1996 tasting a few years ago, the big, brooding Beze was the pick of the wines. This bottle could do with a lot of air, while the CSJ was delightful from the get go.

You may need to vary air time according to perceived quality, at the extreme end, the Beze might need a three hour decant, while village would be pop and pour

Tom – I had dinner with Jacques Lardiere tonight and coincidentally we had a bottle of this very same wine open. He said that the bottle that is not marked Domaine Andre Gagey is indeed a separate bottling from the “regular” CSD, with the Gagey holdings being a prime parcel in the center of the vineyard. My notes are somewhat sketchy, as M. Lardiere is an incredibly charismatic storyteller, but from what I gleaned (and this may well have been misheard – my Frenglish isn’t great), the larger parcel was acquired in the 70s.

The bottle that was open (although not Dom. Andre Gagey), I’ll add, was stunning.

Thank you- I will add this to my notes. I very much appreciate you remembering and asking the question. This is not only good information for personal reference, but of professional value as well.

Best, Tom.

Curious- have you tried one yet? I just recently got my hands on 4 bottles of the 2006. It would seem a good time to give one a try.

I have 4 also, but to this date I’ve never popped one

WTF!?!

No more Juge for you!!!

Heads or tails? champagne.gif

In all seriousness, I will open one by year end- so can be guinea pig here. I really like the 2006 vintage and a wine like this should be really singing by now.

If it’s any value, we had the 06 CSJ and 06 Pouget last night as well, and I did not find either ready for business at all. Good wines, both, but they seemed to have more coiled black fruit and earth than I would have expected.

Grabbed a 05 csd today for a pretty decent deal.

Robert would probably rather drink concord grape wine than burgundy.

The 1999 was the sleeper of the vintage and I managed to acquire a good bit (part of which I drank before it shut down). All Gagey.

Great notes and a great thread. Once had a 1996 Clos st. Jacques and really liked it

Then stop popping shitty ones for me!

https://drizly.com/bota-box-pinot-noir/p5344 What???

Typically how many years can any vintage of Jadot CSD age until it starts to go over the hill?

40-45 years?

Too soon to really know I think. As indicated above, all my research points to 1993 as the first vintage where Jadot produced and released Clos St. Denis from the Gagey vineyard- and there are spotty references to potential occasional prior vintages by Jadot. So, for all practical and commercially available purposes, we are only 35 years into a complete history of the wine being made at Jadot.

I actually opened a 2009 a couple of weeks ago while in NYC because I had found quite a bit of it and was running short in my luggage to bring everything home. It drank quite beautifully, but in retrospect was still very primary. That combined with comments here on the 1996 certain suggest a wine with a 40+ year potential as Maureen suggests. One reason I plan to try the 2012 again soon plus go ahead and open a 2006 is to try and get a better feel for long term potential.

Here is that 2009 TN in case of use. One thing I will say- the heft and ripeness of 2009 makes me think many of the wines will never show quite the delicate terroir nuances of other top vintages, but if I am wrong about that then this 2009 is even younger and further from maturity than I am guessing below.

2009 Jadot Clos Saint Denis

good deep purple color, ripe buttery nose with nice oak framing, plums, blackberries, cloves, on the palate still a baby, similar to the superb 2012 but riper and even more plush- though at the expense of the ethereal definition expressed by the 2012, punchy, this has the ripeness of the vintage and while it is close to the edge on that point it does remain a balanced and fine wine, with time blueberry notes, fruits wrapped in mineral, a great beauty that drinks well now but should demonstrate a respectable array of nuance in time. (), 2024-2045.

Thank you. I do still want to open one, but may change plans on when and with who based on what you are saying. I would expect CSD to unfurl a bit sooner than those two, but even so after 12 years (and I had a lot of 2006s at release) I would have expected most Jadots to be starting to open up. So perhaps I have underestimated them.

By the way, thinking of 96 Jadot, we had the 96 Clos Vougeot last night and it was lovely and open for business. Acidity in perfect balance, luscious fruit, quite alive and vibrant. Maybe because the price of the CV has been more reasonable as the other grand cru (and CSJ) Jadots have escalated in price, I was not expecting it to be as excellent as it was. But I was wrong.