Jadot Clos Saint Denis 1996

Thanks for the great posts, everyone. I have a few bottles of the 2010 CSD Gagey and a bottle of 2009 but have never tasted any vintage of this so the comments are very helpful.

On the topic of Jadot Grand Cru Reds, how do you guys think the Bonnes Mares fits in? Is it a good example of the vineyard and how does it compare to Bonnes Mares from other producers?

I asked Frédéric Barnier where their plot(s) are and he told me they are in both the terres blanches and terres rouges soil.
This would make it a good candidate for showing a complete example of the vineyard, right?

I think the BM is one of the best wines in the Jadot stable (haven’t tasted Musigny yet but doubt that would change my statement). It is definitely a larger-scaled wine, but I love the supple elegance in it as well. One of my personal favourites to boot.

Whether or not it’s representative of BM, I don’t know. I haven’t had enough to really judge what BM is like. But I know I do love the Jadot edition. I opened a 2000 at the dinner with Jacques which I thought was drinking perfectly.

Jacques also noted the same thing you mentioned – the red and the white earth and how the Jadot wine was a combination of both.

I agree that Bonnes Mares is pretty special but I have had a few disappointments notably the 1993. But I also feel that at its best, outside of Musigny, the Chambertin Beze reaches heights that I have never found in the Bonnes Mares.

duplicate

Duplicate.
Cannot find delete

We are having a Louis Jadot dinner in London on Nov 8, and this is the wine I am contributing, CSD 1996. I bought it about ten years ago in Long Island for a nominal sum.

Totally agree – CdB would be another of the top tier wines from the Jadot stable.

i’ve been re-evaluating my tastes in jadot wines and cracked a 2005 clos st denis last night. decided to decant for a few hours and it made a huge difference; rather dark and monolithic at first, but really got elegant with pristine and pure fruit after more air. the finish eventually got a bit clipped, but i think that’s likely typical for the age of the wine and i wouldn’t be surprised if it got much better with another 10 years. i think 2005 was the first year they changed over to the massive bottles and longer corks and the fill was immaculate as was the cork. really terrific wine. i don’t see a lot of info online re: gagey and the history of this wine w/ jadot, however.

Enjoyed the 97 I had at Bern’s, was a bit lighter bodied tho.

was it domaine or negoce? it seems that depending on the vintage there are both?

I have found this dark fruit, earth character, and grumpy character in the 06s that I’ve tried. Not the biggest fan of 06 these days. Reminds me a little of 95.

it was gagey

Fred, I generally concur. Curmudgeonly is a good way of describing it.

But, but, but …

A 2006 Mugneret Gibourg NSG Chaignots opened on Saturday was open-armed, fully fruited and elegant. Vosne-Romanée like in texture.