Japan Experts Help Please

No it was fine for pronunciation, but it was not fine with the Parisian owners of the original. They were here for a visit a few years ago and seemed like nice people at the dinner I attended. Subsequent to that there were discussions about copyright etc. and the owner decided to change it to this. It is also, when spelled differently, his daughter’s name I believe.

Oh really, I’m surprised they wouldn’t have asked for permission prior to opening.

They were quite buddy buddy for a while at the outset and I think it was just a gentleman’s agreement that nobody suspected would go awry.

Contemplating 3 weeks in Japan, from March 15 to April 5.

Last week in Kyoto, middle week in Tokyo (sort of backwards as I arrive/leave out of Narita, but this seems the best for Sakura based on what I can find).

Suggestions for the first week are fought. Don’t like cold weather in general, so not sure about Hokkaido.

Any comments on Kanazawa?

How about Hakone?

Is Osaka worth a stop?

Other thoughts for spending a week in mid March?

(I may be able to unking my routing and arrive a week later, but at higher cost. Might be worth it if Osaka is worth a visit).

I’ve never been to Kyoto for Sakura, mostly because I hate crowds and am fine missing the flowers if it means I can avoid the hordes of tourists staring at them, so I can’t comment on the timing per se.

Painting with broad brushstrokes, I highly recommend getting out of the cities at some point - there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo and Kyoto. To your specific questions:

Osaka is great, especially for foodies, with a terrific market, Osaka Castle close by, and a surprisingly wonderful aquarium. It’s also just ~30 min from Kyoto on the Rapid Express train (less on the Shinkansen), so you can do a side trip even if you decide not to stay there. Same with Nara - easy to hit from Kyoto.

Kanizawa is beautiful, with an old quarter that was spared the bombing, like Kyoto. But if you’re spending a week in Kyoto, you might not need it, and I say this even though we go there often since the sake we import is made nearby and really like it.

Hokkaido is not terribly cold in March/April. Sapporo is a fantastic city, and smaller towns like Otaru and Hakodate are manageable and give a much different feel to the big cities you are visiting.

Consider booking one night in a ryokan (traditional inn) in the country. You get dinner and breakfast as part of the deal, so you don’t need it to be near anything.

We also love Fukuoka. You can fly there easily, or the Shinkansen goes all the way. Many fewer tourists, including Japanese tourists, and great food. You can do a side visit to Karatsu, where there are several great ryokan, and visit the galleries and shops specializing in regional pottery.

1 Like

Hokkaido will still be pretty cold. Not sure I’d recommend it, still ski season as well so you’d need to deal with that. Otaru is pretty neat. Yoichi by train for whiskey is possible from Sapporo.

Some other thoughts…
Himeji. Also quite famous for Sakura. Big castle.
Hiroshima I like a lot. Peace museum and other related sights are neat to see.
If not Osaka, Kobe is a cool town.

Hakone is nice if you are into onsen. If you aren’t, well, I wouldn’t go for an overnight. Can do day trips. But Fuji sightings then will be hit and miss. (I mostly went for motorcycle rides, excellent roads that way and into Izu).

Kanezawa. Agree with Sarah.

Matsumoto has a nicely preserved old castle. The famous one in Osaka has an elevator, for comparison. Can be a day trip from Tokyo.

Nikko is great. Also can be a day trip from Tokyo but finding somewhere to stay for a couple nights would be best.

If you are driving options really open up.

1 Like

After 40 years in California, my definition of cold is a lot more wimpy than most on the board.

I used to love hot tubs, but now can’t stay in hot water ling. Will depend on the temperature- but my wife loves them and I thought a couple if nights there might be good, especially give it’s proximity to Haneda and my 6am arrival.

I was in Kyoto 25 years ago with perfect timing snd wasn’t very crowded- times have changed. But taking the philosophers walk and the famous Zen garden was quite peaceful.

Even though I’m been in many (15?) countries without our alphabet , Japan was the one that was daunting.

Are train station is now reliably signed in English? Are there more English speakers no (or helpful English speakers more precisely)?

I’m not nervous but I am looking to keep the logistics simpler.

Regarding ryokan- any with Western style furniture? Not comfortable on mats without back support.

Fuji is only open to climbing (unless you get special permission and are a known alpinist) in July and August. I was on the caldera in August and it was snowing.

The trains and subways in major Japanese cities are a marvel of clarity, with romanji signage everywhere. Every exit is numbered, and the signs even tell you how many meters away things are.

Some ryokan have western rooms or wings, but I don’t know which as I look for the opposite.

The crowds may be okay - tourists from mainland China usually make up a large percentage, so if China is still closed, the crowds might be less. But I’d still book your hotels way in advance.

1 Like

Booking now.

Having to adjust my sights- I’m a point junkie, but the Park Hyatt Kyoto is full in points, so will do the Hyatt Place.

Ditto Tokyo , was hoping to go back to the Park Hyatt, but will go to the Hyatt Centric since they are full.

But surprised to see how many hotels they gave in Japan. Do I have options.

Once I have things lined up, I’ll be hungry for good recommendations.

The Noma pop up in Kyoto comes online in a week and a half… Same time frame.

Glad to here that about the stations, but it’s not true about the ticket site. I’ve read that you need special seats with large bags, and supposed to be able to do it, but I can’t figure out how to request those seats (the end of the cars where bags can go behind your seat).

Kyoto-Tokyo bullet train is one in particular.

You can put your bags at the end without a special seat. I’ve taken the Shinkasen dozens of times, sometimes with large bags, and never even heard of that. Just put it there and go take your seat. Never had an issue, though it’s possible no one ever told me. Maybe if you feel nervous being far away from your bag, but I have never worried.

Or just buy the ticket in the station. There are tons of trains, and good pricing. No need to buy way in advance. Someone can help you when you are there, and the machines can be switched to English.

Not questioning that you read it. I’ve just never seen it play out that way, and Jonathan speaks Japanese, so it hasn’t been a language issue.

Thanks Sarah.

Here’s what they say:

My bag is just under 160cm total so I don’t need to. But they imply you can reserve specific seats, no?

Can’t figure out how, have gone it in Europe for decades.

1 Like

I have only bought tickets at the station and the machines allow you to pick seats. I can’t see a reason to book trains months in advance, especially if you are at all concerned. There are always helpful people at stations. Japan is the least scary country in the world - don’t worry so much.

No one has ever said anything to me about putting large bags at the end of the car (not sure how big my big bag is) in my dozens of rides and nothing on the ticket machine mentions it. So if it’s a rule, no one is enforcing it in my experience, at least not for foreigners.

1 Like

I’d also note that Google maps is great on the trains there. The subway instructions, for example, tell you where to board and which exits to use. And I’ll second that the Shinkansen is super easy. You stand by your designated door, get right on. Leave your bags in the racks. I think we did first class on the trains, although I don’t recall the reasoning. Very pleasant ride.

I think you are mistaking my concern. I’m quite an experienced traveler.

Not worried, not scared, been there before, but did have challenges getting around before when I was there for two weeks - but it was 25 years ago. I never got lost, but it did take longer. There wasn’t the that much signage in English if I recall, but also a lack of English speakers (or speakers willing to help).

I’ve been to Malaysia, Indonesia, India, China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, Thailand, some more than once, sometimes somewhat remote. The only time I had challenges was in Japan. But if there is now English signage, I’ll be fine.

It was the safest county other than Singapore I ever visited.

If things are that crowded over Sakura season, trains will not sell out?

I think you will have plenty of options. But do as you wish. I would want flexibility to choose closer to, in case meals or plans made me want to travel at a different time.

You’ll be fine.

Bullet train tickets can be purchased online 30days before at 10am jpn time online. You’ll need to create an account and credit card that works. MC didn’t work for me but Amex did.

Google translate is a fantastic app that translate on the fly using your phone camera.

Enjoy!

This is to get from Kyoto to Narita for the return flight home. It’s a late flight, but flexibility isn’t really desired, as there isn’t any flexibility in the flight.

I would be likely going to Narita the night before (my normal approach to TATL and TPAC flights) but I know when I’d like to head out.