Japanese Whiskey

BTW, there are 2 versions: Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey and Nikka Coffey Malt Whiskey. They are both worth trying but the latter was named best Japanese Whiskey in the Whisky Bible this year. They are about the same price but the Malt is harder to find now.

As a whiskey neophyte, I have to say that my go to for a super-easy drinking Japanese whiskey was the Taketsuru 12-year that was easily found in bars all around (it was always like the third Japanese whiskey a bar would get if they wanted to be ‘exotic’). However, those are long gone, now, in favor of a no-age bottling at the same price (which I haven’t tried). I did get a chance to try out the Taketsuru 17 and 21 years in Tokyo a month ago and I have to say that the 17 was sublime. Tracked down a remaining bottle of 17 in the US at a not-ridiculous price because I liked it so much.

Found both of these on the shelf locally. Next to it by the same producer was one labeled " pure malt" which I believed is named after the founder. Anyone had it?

Nikka Coffee Malt is more of a Bourbon style, very unusual for Japanese whiskeys. The Pure Malt is more like Scotch as you’d expect. They’re both nice, but not great. Since they carry no age designations, their prices haven’t escalated the way the age designated stuff has, so I think they’re well valued. Calling the Coffee Malt the best Japanese whiskey is ludicrous. There are so many that are so much better.

I had this last night for the first time and I certainly didn’t find it to be in a bourbon style, though the review I read before buying agreed with your take, making mention of caramel and pecan flavors that I just didn’t pick up. I thought it was waaaaaaaaay too malt forward to be mistaken for bourbon, and didn’t have any characteristic I’d associate with bourbon. This is based on one glass though, neat then with ice added. I had the Nikka grain the night before and frankly I preferred the grain over the malt based upon those two tastings. It speaks to what Craig said above, in that the NCM emulated Scotch and was just okay, whereas the NCG was more unique in its own right.

A local store has the Nikka Toki for $25. It’s not a world beater by any means, but at $25 I’m thinking I’ll grab a couple of bottles to experiment with mixing something from them or just for easy drinking, as I found the Toki light and somewhat floral.

Hibiki 17 is hands down my favorite whiskey. Last time I was in Japan I picked up a bottle of Hibiki 21, which is also good, but it was impossible to find a bottle of the 17. There were however 50mL hibiki 17s for $10, so now I have a stash of those to last a while.

I think you mean Suntory Toki. $25 is a really good price for it. I like it for mixing. If you can find The Chita, it’s along the same lines but more bold and complex. I really like it. It’s not sold in the US except in duty free.

I saw the Hibiki 17 at Liquors Hasegawa in Tokyo Station. It was about $170. Where did you find the 21?

Those 50ml Hibiki 17s are great. They’re the only thing I’ve ever bought at Bic Camera!

I’m in Taiwan for a couple of weeks and I picked up a bottle of the Hibiki Harmony Master’s Select while coming in through duty free. It’s a special blend of Harmony with more Sherry cask aged Yamazaki. I don’t actually like it that much. I find it too Sherried and too woody, particularly when it’s on ice. I like the regular Harmony quite a bit. Next time I’ll buy The Chita, save some money, and be much happier.

Yes thank you, it’s Suntory, I was also posting about the Nikka malt and typed the wrong thing. Not bad at all at $25, and light enough to mix interestingly.

the Toki is best used for highballs (one of the preferred ways to drink whisky in Japan).

most Japanese whisky is not peated at all. Hakushu is Suntory’s peated whisky.

Yamazaki 12, 18, and 25 are marvelous.

Nikka Coffey Malt is very interesting and worth trying.

I know it is partially off topic, but the nikka gin is great! Major citrus and yuzu flavor.

Was just at a friend’s place last night (long-time buddy and he’s just getting into wine now) and I noticed he had La Chita in his cabinet. Next time :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing that. I’ve been curious to hear what it’s like for a while now.

Any cocktails it works particularly well in?

After surfing this thread, I ordered a Yamazaki 18 with 1 large ice cube at Town Hearth in Dallas last Friday. I had no idea this whiskey was so expensive, and probably wouldn’t have ordered it if I knew it retailed for $450 plus a bottle. Ouch with a restaurant mark up.

In any event, I like scotch and was looking forward to trying this. It’s not scotch. That is not to say that it isn’t a wonderful whiskey. It is incredibly smooth, shows lovely vanilla-oak, smooth liquid brown sugar, fruit, sherry, and incense notes. It’s really obviously a great dram. It runs more to the sweet palate of a bourbon without being as cloying as I find most Bourbon. At the same time, it is no Scotch. I’d hoped it would be a bit more scotchy, more saline, hit of iodine, but it’s not there. That doesn’t objectively take away from the whiskey, but it ensures I’ll not spend my money on it again.

Just bought a bottle of Kaiyō Mizunara today, my second Japanese whisky purchase. Pretty exotic and rich stuff based on a quick taste.

If you like blended whiskey, try Ichiro’s Malt and Grain Blended Whisky. Very tasty. In US it is usually about $100 but if you ever go to Japan I saw it as low as $35

I find Akashi White Oak and Iwai great entry level Japanese whiskey’s that are quite readily available in the USA. You should be able to get their entry level bottling for below $50.

Agree with both previous posts, but all are in lighter more delicate still, like Hibiki, which has come to be my preference in Japanese Whisky (it’s always spelled out WITHOUT the “e”, btw).
But for those looking to make a whooping investment and/or purchase, here you go:

I was able to get a bottle of Yamazaki 12 from K&L but I’m not very impressed. I like all the other Suntory whisky I’ve tried but this one just doesn’t seem that interesting. I much prefer Hakushu 12 and Chita (and any Hibiki except the sherry-heavy Master’s Select).