Japanese Whiskey

Anyone know how pricing is in Japan? (significant discount? or relatively similar) Will be going next month and looking to pick up a few bottles.

It’s a lot cheaper. I found hibiki 17 for relatively low prices and 50 ml miniatures were $4.

Am I seeing this right? Hibiki 12 is $3xx usd?
I bought this long ago for about $30.

The demand has gotten so crazy, it is harder to find aged bottles even in Japan. When you can, prices are much better.

Was in Japan in November. Wish I didn’t waste so much time checking BIC camera and other department stores. I wasn’t able to find anything special at reasonable prices. Liquor stores, if they have anything special, add significant premiums, while department stores which sell at retail are well picked through.

One reliable place to enjoy is on the JR trains, yamazaki 12 in 50ml bottles is the standard whiskey from the carts on board.

The best place I found was in downtown Kyoto near the Ikura hotel; they had hibiki 17, Blanton gold, and a few bottles of btac stuff at near us retail.

This has been our experience as well - no special or extra availability for whisky in Japan versus US for most desirable bottles, and prices nothing to seek out except at some bars which specialize. But Campari is dirt cheap!

Has anyone tried Kikori? It’s made from rice but the notes sound interesting.

The thirst for Japanese whisky is crazy, you’ll start to see higher age statements disappear IMO, and Suntory has a stranglehold on stocks. We don’t rep Suntory and it’s a struggle to find other producers. Finally found 1, so I now have 1 Japanese whisky…took almost 4 years.

Was really impressed with Nikka Coffey Grain. If you see it, grab some.

1 Like

I can’t even find most of them in japan, let alone the US

Its unreal how the demand on Japanese whiskey seemed to explode overnight… Wish I had stocked up when it was available at most stores and every duty free shop!

Im taking a short trip to Japan next month, is there any whiskey I could purchase at the local store that I should try? Nothing to bring back home, just to enjoy while I’m there. Im staying in Osaka and Japan. TIA.

I really like Suntory’s The Chita. You can get it in 100ml bottles in many convenience stores. You can also get the NAS Yamazaki and Hakushu in those bottles.

If you see a Bic Camera, check if they still have any 50ml bottles of Hibiki 17. I’m not sure if those are gone now.

Thank you!

Have to agree… A really nice pour!

On my most recent Japan trip last month, we talked to many bartenders and restaurateurs about the craze for Japanese whisky, and some of the results of that craze, including lack of older stock. Also, huge increases in the amount of “Japanese” whisky that wasn’t made in Japan. It’s been know for years, but I didn’t see any mention in this thread, so thought I’d throw in some information:

He makes the good point that, if the whisky tastes good, who cares if it comes from Japan? But that’s in conflict with the nature of the hype.

It would seem that whisky labeled made in Japan should be approached with the same awareness as olive oil labeled made in Italy. Caveat Emptor.

So what you are saying is that Ray Walker is now making Japanese Whisky?

Wrong. Rayko Walkeryoshi is now making Japanese whiskey… hitsfan