Jersey City and Northern NJ

And if you like Blu in Montclair, then you have to like Blu Next Door. They won the NJ Magazine (I think) best hamburger. So the place got a little jammed for a while a few months ago. Same kitchen used for Blu, but a more straight forward menu with no ambience. Easy on the wallet too.

Is Boulevard Bistro the one across from the train station?

Sherri, you are thinking of Boulevard Five-72 I believe.

Lemme know.

I’ll see what days Karen can get free over the next few weeks. What days are you in vegas? Send me some dates that work for you and maybe we can work it out before you go away. Or we will have to do it after mid june when we get back.

We went there a few months ago and thought it was VERY bland. Maybe we ordered the wrong things, but was not impressed.

For fun mexican style food (though NOT a BYO that I know of…have not even asked), try The Red Cadillac http://www.theredcadillacnj.com/....on Morris ave

THE CLAM BUCKET for only $10 (Dozen Little Neck Clams steamed in a Cilantro broth) with nice garlic bread is delicious. We make a meal out of it.

They have a Margarita that is insanely good. I don’t usually drink those things, but we love these.

I think they are only open Wed-Sun. We’ve done lunches there and early dinners.
Wed 3:00-11:00
Thurs 3:00-11:00
Fri 11:30-1 am Lunch thru closing
Sat 3:00 - 1 am
Sun 1:00 - 9:00

Steve - thanks for the link - always looking for great Mexican. Will def try it.

Not your normal mex place. Limited menu but whatever we get is always good. The Chrome Margahritas are great, and if you have at least 3 people, get the pitcher. Too much for just two unless you linger. Went the other day again for a very early dinner and had the clams again, and karen had the steak fajitas which were really good too. Let me know what you think when you go.

Finally got to try Boulevard in Westfield and we really enjoyed the food. They had tables outside but we chose to sit indoors. Very extensive and nice menu, the food was very good but the stemware not so much. Will definitely go back!

We went to Satis in Jersey City last evening. Good mix of charcuterie and pates on the menu and food overall was very good with the short ribs and mashed potatoes with chorizo being outstanding. Stems are good. I would return.

went to Lorenas a couple of weeks ago. Damn good meal.

Lorena’s is outstanding. But they have gotten so up in price that it is almost a special occasion destiny for me. But outstanding food no matter.

Not sure if there is a better place, for the price, than Blu Next Door, in Montclair. Went there a few weeks ago, as we were driving home, and made a note to myself that we need to go more often. I get caught up too much in not wanting to travel much.

Another place I have not been to in quite a while, is Cafe Matisse, in Rutherford. Anyone been lately? From the past, I like them, but it is pricey and sometimes they seem to try to do a little too much. That said, the eBob even we did for about 40 - 45 people, was terrific…not sure how long ago that really was. 5-6 years? Maybe others will remember.

Cafe Matisse is right near where Sandy and I work and yet we haven’t been. No reason. I think that event was more like 10 years ago. You had a little more hair then.

You work? I didn’t think you had time for work, what with golf and wine tastings taking up all your time. And back then, and even now, I bet I have more hair than you do. neener Which is like saying which pigmy casts the biggest shadow…but still. neener You just let your strands grow a little, and then rub em up and get some static electricity going on up there. [berserker.gif]

I just looked at the Cafe Matisse menu…now called a “grazing menu”. Dishes are bigger than an app but smaller than an entree. $65 for 3 selections or $79 for 4 selections with additional $$$ supplement on some dishes.

I’ve been there since they made this change. And it is bigger than/smaller than for sure. But the prices have just gotten a little too much, from what I remember.

We just did a group of 6 at Madame Claude in jersey city last night.
Small little hole with a decent shabby-chic atmosphere. Food pretty good as well. My filet mignon (on special) was actually quite great. Be sure to add a side or two of some veggies. (The Ratatouille was a nice). The crepes were pretty good. My wife had the champignon, and the apple for dessert was better than the peach. The grilled shrimp appetizer was pretty nice too, but they ran out of mussels early since bouillabaisse was on the special board. We had an order just before and thought them ok. Good escargots.
All in all, a nice dinner, reasonably priced, but I would recco you bring glasses. The tiny jobbies they have are good for nada.

Going there this Thursday - thanks for the tips!

Do you think they would mind stemware being brought?

They are fine with you bringing your own stems. This is a very casual bistro type place.

They’re very nice there. Wish I was still nearby.