Jersey City and Northern NJ

We finally got a chance to check out this place. Sat inside, as it was hot and muggy. We were the only ones in the whole restaurant from about 5:30 - 6:30. It was a last minute decision to dine out, as we were coming from a doctors appt and grabbed a bottle at Cool Vines and went over. Whatever you do, bring stems. They have those tiny little bowl glasses. Ugh!

Food was ok. We shared a fried calamari dish that was a little over done. Would have been pretty good if cooked right.

Karen had skirt steak with Broc rabe and peppers. Ordered med rare and came out WELL done. Sent it back with no problems and it was pretty good when cooked med rare.

I had Talapia Francese, which was nice.

I would return in a pinch, but wouldn’t seek it out.

Going for the early bird Senior discount?

If you go to Sati’s DO NOT get the fried chicken. Maybe I’m spoiled by Soul Flavors but this stuff was awful. The watermelon and heirloom tomato salad on the side was great though. Antipasto plate was eh.

Just like fried chicken is the dish to get at Soul Flavors, short ribs is the dish to get at Satis.

Maybe some time this week. But it’s hard to argue with the oxtail either.

Looked up Satis online. Impressive-looking menu, and that ox-tail dish is calling me out. Corkage-free byob? Is there a Path station nearby or do I have to drive-in?

Btw, agree that Fried Chicken is THE dish at Soul Flavors.

I’d say it’s about an 10 minute walk SE from the Grove St. PATH stop and a 5 minute walk SW from the Exchange Place PATH stop. Short ribs are off the dinner menu (still there for brunch).

A fairly new steakhouse (September '11?) started by ex-Peter Luger guys

http://www.waynesteakhouse.com/

They are running the Luger playbook with a few additions (they serve a good ribsteak) and No License.

They are currently BYO with no corkage fee.

Thanks for that heads up. Not much info on the site. What kind of pricing and size on the steaks, if you remember?

A decent sized bone-in rib steak (22 oz.?) is ~ $43. They do “Steak for 2, 3, or 4” – porterhouse Luger style – I think that was about $45/person. All listed as Prime, dry-aged (and my steak seemed to be consistent with that claim). My wife had Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonian toothfish – yes, I know it’s endangered) for ~ $45 – it looked to be at least 1 1/2 lbs (I had the leftovers the next day). All entrees include a decent house salad and onion rings. Service was amateurish but the food was good.

Thanks Gil. As for IN NJ, would you recommend a 30-40 minute drive to try it out? I rarely find good steaks in NJ.

It’s about 30 minutes from me and I would do it again. I would say the steak was very good. The ambiance is even more casual than Luger’s and the service less gruff but less professional. If you’re looking for good steak and don’t care so much about the surroundings, I would say it is worth a try. And, of course, it is BYO with no corkage fee – which makes it unusual among “better” steakhouses in NJ.

Thanks again. I’m sold. I’ll give it a try. Free corkage and a great steak is unusual. Service and surroundings are not all that important to me, for a good steak. Unless the service is offensive. But I’m sure that is not the case.

Appreciate the heads up and offering your feedback.

Gil,

Karen and I went some months ago, and just thought I would post and let you and others know that you post about sums it all up there. Really good steak (a real steak cooked right, of you know what I mean). I would definitely go again if in the area, but it is a bit far for us. If it were closer, I would go there once a month or so. Good steak places are hard to find here in NJ, at least in my area. Thanks for the heads up.

Bound Brook: Girasole http://www.girasoleboundbrook.com/

I have been wanting to check this place out for a few years. Just never really knew where Bound Brook was, other than remembering pictures of parts of the town flooding so badly 5-6 years ago, or longer.

I always see good reviews on it, but you know how that can go. Anyway, we were in the area getting my Mac fixed, and decided to give it a try…5PM (yeah Jaouen, we were hoping for the early bird special…but alas, none offered) So I drove in with my handicapped scooter… neener

Anyway, walked in and it was pleasant inside. Plenty of tables, and one set up for a party of about 16-18 people. Here is the basic menu: - Girasole Cucina Italiana - Bound Brook NJ

We weren’t sure how it was going to be, but after it was all said and done, we really enjoyed it. Not a fancy intellectual menu or presentation, but from what we ordered, it was very good, sold food, good portions.

We shared a Ceasar Salad , and I have to say it was one of the best (classic) ceasar salads I have had in some time. I would have liked some anchovies on the plate, although in was in the flavor of the dressing. All in all, I very much enjoyed it.

We also split a stuffed shrimp (crab and spinach, if I remember) Nice lump crab with very little, if any bread crumbs. A lemon based dressing/sauce. We both thought it was very good.

For dinner, Karen had: Ravioli Ripieni Con Funghi Handmade porcini mushroom-filled ravioli with leeks & pancetta in a roasted garlic & rosemary sauce, finished with a touch of cream. It was excellent

I had a double port chop stuffed with Broccoli Rabe, leeks, roasted peppers, etc. : It was very good, but too much for me to finish, so we ate the raviolis and packed up the pork chop to have the next night.

All in all, it was better than I expected and would definitely go back We brought our own glasses, and if I remember, their glasses were those medium small round ones that really suck. Service was very pleasant, and pretty good. Only problem we have with it is that it is up Rt 22 WEST, so you either have to go on weekends, or after what Jaouen calls the old crippled man hours 5-7. neener I’d give it a try for sure. [cheers.gif]

We’re going to an after dinner dessert and drinks at a friend’s in River Vale tomorrow night. I think that is in Northern Bergen county, near Ho-ho-kus. ISO restaurant for early dinner for wife and I … prefer Italian, French, Spanish and American. Allowing BYO would be a plus, but not required.
Thanks.

Cafe Panache is not that far from Ho-Ho-Kus and is a top BYO in NJ. But River Vale is pretty far up the GSP, if I remember correctly. So, I think Esty Street is near River Vale, but not a BYO.

Thanks Steve. Ended up staying closer at a nearby Japanese noodle restaurant as wife decided to work late and just driving up to River Vale for our after-dinner appointment. Would have loved to try Cafe Panache.

Cafe Panache is quite good. I ate there several times while I was living in Mahwah.

I hit Osteria Giotta in Montclair for dinner on Saturday; appetizers were somewhat pedestrian, but I really liked the entrees (my wife had orrechiete with broccoli rabe & sausage, I had a special pork loin “giambotta-style”, and other folks at the table were raving about the risotto with lobster (didn’t try it). Service was very good in a crowded place, and I’d definitely go back.