John Thomas mailer?

I chatted with John. He plans to release about November 1, and will get the mailer out about October 1.

I took down a boatload of Q&A with him when I was in Oregon the other month, which I hope to put out someday. I really enjoyed my visit with him.

And, so do I–hope that you do. [cheers.gif]

Best,

Kenney

How do you get onto his list? Can’t find an email address, etc.

I am not even sure he has a website. He says his emails fall into a black hole around harvest.

Thank you!

I sent him a letter late last year asking to be added to the list. I bought some 2010 online and 2011 from a local friend who has since moved. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

[rofl.gif]

Damn. Hopefully, he gets busy and the mailer slips a few weeks. Otherwise, October is going to be brutal on the checkbook and credit card.

My visit with John a few years ago was very interesting. He was a gracious host.

From today’s mail:

Received mine today. From JT:

"If an envelope can describe a vintage, this is it. Following two of the latest harvest on record, 2012 arrived bearing small clusters and rainless skies. The year presented a near-perfect growing season, marred only by several days of hot and windy weather in the final weeks before harvest. The conditions, similar to those that occurred in 2003 and 2006, tend to concentrate the fruit. How the winemaker chooses to handle this determines whether the resulting wine emphasizes power or elegance. Musically, it’s a choice between Janis and Scott. I’ll leave the full-tilt boogie to other winemakers and go with Scott.

This is a bottling that, unlike those of 2010 & 2011, doesn’t beg for several years cellaring. The tannins are modest, the acidity bright and the alcohol is an actual 13.7% so as to complement food. Enjoy!"

Low probability I realize, but if anybody needs some help handling their allocation I’d love to get a couple bottles flirtysmile

Does this mean it will not age for a long time or just what it is more approachable young! I was hoping to pick some up as birth year wines for our niece and nephew. And a few for me of course.

That’s a good question and one that also crossed my mind, Paul. What I’m hearing about the better '12s, is that they are approachable early, but will also age well. So I suspect this is the case with the '12 Thomas. I’m sure others will chime in on this.

While past performance is no guarantee of futher returns, John didn’t think that his '94 would be long lived – and look at it now. Even without tasting, I wouldn’t be inclined to wager against the agability of his '12. The bigger potential issue is bottle variation.

This is the first year I plan on opening one on arrival. I wouldn’t be surprised if this bottling will go the distance but only time will tell. Maybe Roy Piper has some info about this vintage he can pass on to us.

It’s odd that a guy with so small of production and such an eye toward quality can have bottle variation and not have solved the problem after several years.

Ditto this! [thankyou.gif]

Wow got the letter today, after leaving a message on a machine that I was not even sure was his about a year ago…i’m in!

Now to see if I have any checks?! this is old school [cheers.gif]

Historically, has this been one of those things that “if you get an offer, you’ll get wine”?

Or do I send my check in, cross my fingers, and hope I get what I requested?

We are taking what’s offered.