just a comment about Bordeaux value, and children future value

Mark, note the “When I was in Bordeaux” in your post. How many years ago was that? Things have changed. New owners and competition has caused a plethora of vineyards to start producing much better wine in the Haut Medoc and the Medoc. Many of these wines were not familiar to me before Covid. But I have been tasting them lately and several are worth discovering for you, Alfret and other seeking delicious Left and Right Bank value wines.

Oh, stop crying in your wine. Progress is a good thing neener Honestly, there are others to take their place. You should really peruse my 2018 in-bottle reports from Medoc and Haut Medoc. Loads of wines even you will like …

I posted one of those above, Jeffois. Chateau Lamarque.

I saw that. As you know I like their wine. But there are numerous other estates I like that I think you would enjoy and they sell for a song!

Herwig,
That’s such a great wine!
Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

[tease.gif] [tease.gif]

How can it be progress if you like the wine.

I was last in Bordeaux in 2015 tasting 2014. UGC tastings, the occasional winemaker showing new vintages and my wine groups getting together to taste keeps me up to date for a few wines, but sadly it means that I do miss quite a bit.

meme.jpg

First thank you all for the comments, so valuable. I was not trying to be controversial (although I am a AFWE). I was simply compelled to state “What a joy” to pull from the cellar a beautiful wine, not because I paid a fortune or because someone else rated it, an find it delicious. I was compelled to post because sometimes we all lose the “this is what wine is all about”. In a world where scores and “how much did it cost” seem to be drivers…I was reminded of simple pleasure. I hope my children have that experience.

2 Likes

By the way I owe Robert an apology…IT was the Meyney that I found very big and was confused as to the “new style”. I recorded in my notes, being sorry that the “old Meyney” may be not longer. Sorry Robert

Does RTP have a system for the future value of children?

Too soon?

In all seriousness this is a big part of my wine journey. Hoping my kids get to inherit the wine collection that my friends were able to inherit from their parents. Been awesome to share in old wines with them.

1 Like

Absolutely loved the 1996 Lanessan. Wine Exchange was frequently offering in the early 2000s for $12.99 or $13.99 a bottle. I think I ended up buying 3 cases of the stuff. I still have 3 left. Enjoyed a bottle last year and it was still going strong.

1 Like

At age 24 the 2000 Chasse Spleen [Moulis] continues to develop effortlessly, and should please cabernet fans. Medium bodied, elegant in style, cedar on the nose, and red fruits on the palate. For my taste, better on the second night open. Tannins are resolved, acid is still here, but fine without food, and plenty of classical character. The earth, the scorch should be easy to place as Bordeaux when tasted blind, even if the specific AOC would be tricky. A- on my scorecard.

Nice color

Just saw this, surprised that 2001 Lanessan is on the downside.

About five years ago, I bought most of a case of 1975 at auction for very little money. The first few were fine, I’m holding my last four bottles until next year, I like drinking 50 year old Cru Bourgeois. A couple of years back I posted on the 1966, going strong at 55 years, IIRC a little better than the 1975.

You want your kids to have the same experience and bargains? You can still get 2015 - 2020 Lanessan for about twenty bucks, cheaper (after inflation) than what you paid for the '01.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like