Just got on the Cayuse mailing list

That’s really strange. I’m not sure I understand their method of adding folks but it appears as though it’s definitely not based on when a person initially signed up.

Clay[/quote]

I just received the email and accidentally erased it from my iPhone! blush

Hopefully they will resend. I’ve been intrigued by this producer.

[/quote]
Hopefully they aren’t friends with the folks at futo

newhere

I am just now trying to decide what I want to wish list and I am having a very hard time deciding, partly because their website is very uninformative to say the least. I am the sort that kind of likes to know the story behind the wines and don’t seem to see the info anywhere on the site. The links for the wines only show TN’s from WA, IWC, WS, etc. Does anybody know where one might find more info?..things like length of barrel age, percent new barrels, if any whole clusters was used, etc., etc. I kinda like to nerd out on the technical stuff and the website leaves me wanting. Any other sources out there I am not seeing?

Wish list everything, typically first year won’t get anything (but the original 3 pack offered) but will get a 3 pack every year after of their choosing from your wish list, you really don’t get a choice. Saying that, next year will probably be hard on allocations because of the difficult growing seasons on the East side of the mountains and the cut in production.

As for tech data try Tanzer or Millers reviews, I think that they give more data than Cayuse does.

For those new to the list, here’s a few data points that might prove useful:

• Whatever you wish list, you will get allocated one 3-pack (fingers crossed) when all is said and done. Back in the old days this did not apply, and I had a co-worker who suddenly had a $3k bill when he was wish listed everything. Today, one 3-pack per cycle seems to be the norm.
  • All of the syrahs are very similar in style. I’ve asked Christophe directly if he does anything differently with the Bionic Frog, Cailloux etc… and the answer is no. The vineyards themselves are distinctive in terms of years planted, density etc… but they are all quite close to one another in the “rocks” riverbed. The Armada is the outlier in that it gets extended aging (varies year to year so don’t bother trying to guess what next year will bring).
  • The GOK tends to be a more feminine wine in comparison to the rest.
  • The Impulsivo is a little harder to pin down in terms of style. I think he experiments with this one year to year more than most (or maybe it’s the WA climate). For my palate, oak and alcohol are a little more prominent in this bottling.
  • The Widowmaker traditionally sees more oak then his syrahs. If you love Cabs this might be of interest… for me I like syrahs so this never grabs my attention. But again, Christophe may change the formula next year so I hesitate to guess what 2010 will bring in bottle.
  • All of his wines use native yeast. If a fermentation gets stuck, it goes down the drain. Christophe is pretty old school when it comes to winemaking techniques.

If it’s at all at possible, try to attend the yearly open house at least once. It’s so much fun, and you can combine the visit with other local wineries.

Us locals try to post the notes year to year, so look for tasting comments in April!

Tom

Got an email today that I need to keep waiting, just like B Graf. Not even sure when I signed up but it’s got to have been like 2-3 years ago, no less.

Nix. Got the “wait longer” email.

Same for me. I signed up for the Christophe Baron “Return of the Bionic Frog” Seminar at HdR in April, so that will have to be my Cayuse fix for the year.

Cheers, [cheers.gif]

Steve

I just saw that I received a Cayuse email. Before opening, I half-hoped it was my third or fourth annual “patience” email, due to big imminent 2010 burg expenses. When that turned out to be the case, I was more than half-dissapointed. Such is life.

[rofl.gif]

Hopefully they aren’t friends with the folks at futo

newhere[/quote]

[middle-finger.gif]

I agree with Jason’s and Tom’s comments above although I have only 4 years experience on the list. I would add that it seems that the blending of varieties in each wine changes from year to year. For instance, the Camaspelo is a Bordeaux variety blend that may have high percentages of Cab Franc and Merlot while in other vintages it is almost all Cabernet Sauvignon.

I’ve had good luck so far by always wish listing everything knowing that the best I can do is get only one additional three-pack each year. So I suggest wish listing everything except for any that you know you don’t want. After all, wish listing only the lowest production wines will increase your chances of getting nothing.

Same here :frowning: got so exited once I saw the heading, then the let down. At least I got on the " No girls wine" list on time.

How/when were you notified of this?

Does anyone know if these seminars are ever recorded and made available (free or purchase) to those who can’t attend in person?

I had signed up too, as I had received the email from Christophe - wasn’t sure how he knew he signed up “in time” - thought there might have been an offering or other notification

And had I read page 2, I would have had the answer you were trying to direct me to! blush

Made the Cayuse list and was allocated a 3 pack of En Chamberlain. Bring on the funk!

Also got on the No Girls list today. Perfect late Christmas gifts. :slight_smile:

While I made the Cayuse list this time around, I was shut out of the No Girls. Better than the other way around, and better for my wine budgetary woes.
Cheers,
Warren