Kapcsandy...

Even this rookie got it. Plenty of trouble as noted above. Worth it? I’ll let you know one of these days. [cheers.gif]

1 hour meeting… and I get out… and they are sold out!!!.. I’m bummed… but, hey, good for them!!! The wines are terrific… they deserve the accolades.

And to those of you who scored… . Look me up!!! [cheers.gif]

I’ve got to get my butt in gear and put the finishing touches on the online ordering. Hopefully mid next week.

How much you willing to pay?? neener maybe we can work out a trade…

We will talk next time I see you at Legends… Tomorrow night?

I’ll be there… maybe a case of Alsatian Pinot??? A Saxum??

Of all the days to have a client meeting go long. Oh well, it leaves more money for something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeebers… I don’t drink either at that crap??? [snort.gif]

we’ll talk and drink tomorrow, but we’ll trade before I drink and AFTER you do!

I find this discussion very interesting. Obviously, the $100 price increase was steep. While I don’t like it, I did buy my full allocation, and at the same time, I fully understand why the winery raised their prices. Why should a business sell a product for $185 when the buyer can promplty re-sell the wine for $350+? $285 is clearly the logical price for this wine for this vintage. IF…IF the 2009 is deemed by the critical experts along with the well-informed portion of the wine drinkers to be a 93 wine instead of a 100 wine, it will be very interesting to see how the winery prices the wine. Will the winery, which is trying to make California wines with Bordeaux elegance, lower its price in the Bordeaux model to move the wine at release or will the winery keeps it price the same in the American model?

Eventually, the market will tell the winery if the wine was priced correctly. As previously stated, I did buy my full allocation as i have tasted the 2008 Grand Vin from bottle and found it to be a great wine. If the wines in future vintages are just as good as the 2007 and 2008 versions, there is a price at which i will stop buying this wine. My fellow buyers will decide what is the “correct” price for these wines and the winery will mostlikely adjust its prices to reflect the updated market dynamics.

Glad to hear Randy, I was shut out of Kapcsandy, which means more Match for me.

So at $285 (a 65% increase from last year) where does that rank them in terms of “most expensive Napa Cab?”

I was interested to learn that the wine was

1. Quite a bit less to Grand Vin customers
  2. Available to anyone who signed up on the mailing list even within the past few days

I bought last year and never even got a shot at this year. Last year Lou was most gracious and said he wanted me to be a customer for life even if I bought just a bottle or two. This year seemed a bit more of a money grab…

FWIW, I signed up for the list in the fall and didn’t receive an allocation, so I don’t know if it’s true that you could sign up a few days ago and get some of the Grand Vin.

Glad to hear it was less for Grand Vin customers - very fair considering the support they have given - you got a hundred point wine - make some money off it. Hope next years 96 point wine is 185 dollars.

Amid the clamor around the $100 price increase for the Grand Vin, I would like to point out that if you bought the GV/Estate Cuvee package, the Cuvee pricing was $110/btl. I bought the Cuvee back in November for $135 from the winery, so the $25 reduction was a bit of a surprise, given that it received a RP97 in December. I know that it doesn’t soften the GV hike much, but I thought it was fair to point it out.

Clay

No one got an allocation. It was first come first served.

funny how awesome the estate cuvee is with an RP 97 to boot and it sits for sale for months. now come a few bottles more than twice the price with a arguably relatively small qualitative difference in the grand scheme of things and everyone has to have it. i had decided not to purchase the wine much higher than gvc pricing.

best of luck when parker is no longer telling people what wines to covet. i’m sure AG is a fabulous critic, but he is not going to move markets in a similar fashion.

i do hope the pricing for the estate cuvee remains accessible to us poor folk.

What a crappy day to get stuck in meetings. Despite setting an alarm to log in and everything, I didn’t make it. Very disappointing having been a Kapcsandy customer from the past. :frowning:

Are their any Cali Cabs other than Screagle and Harlan that sell for north of $285 on release?

Having a tough time thinking of any…

Nicely put, Frank.

I dont have the numbers handy, but I think Dana Estate borders on that $275 or something,

Got to admit the blood was pumping there for awhile this am (10:03 HI time) when I got the e-mail. I too like some of you pulled out at the last min. The $$$ for the minimal 2 GV’s was a little too rich for my blood. As I don’t flip, these would be only for personal consumption. And as such, I went with 3 '07 Dominus instead. I’ve got 1 each '07 Kapcsandy GV and Roberta’s in cellar that I don’t plan to open for awhileso I have the High RP pointers [stirthepothal.gif] , and have already opened a 375 of the '07 Estate Cuvee and Vino del Sol.

Thanx- Michael Malinoski in his thread A blind tasting of 2007 Napa Cabernets…, ranked the Dominus top above Spottswoode. And I have had the '07 Spottswoode late last year. With the exception of a hair of heat at the finish it drank MFG beautifully now, and IMHO is their BEST even topping their 2005. Placing the 375 of Estate Cuvee against the Spottswoode I prefered the Spottswoode for drinking now. So there it is 3 '07 Dominus with much money left over.

Later, when I went back to Kapcsandy’s site SOLD OUT! Did I make the right decision?

Kevin Ham

There are no good old wines, just good bottles of old wines. said before