Key West—anniversary in late June

I was just thinking about Louie’s It’s been a long time since I’ve been there

You didn’t comment on the restaurant.
When I went probably about 6 year’s ago it was the best restaurant by far!

It’s been close to two decades for me. I thought the food was very good and the back porch the best dining site in the Keys (at least back then)

Went to Tiger Bar a couple of weeks ago and the food was fantastic (and very reasonably priced for the quality relative to some of the Keys’ tourist traps). Our group ordered most of the tapas menu . . . We also sampled a good variety of wines next door at the Champagne Room for about an hour before dinner. They have a very “broad” list of some fantastic QPR wines (mostly sparkling, but some still too). It’s not a huge list, but instead wide-ranging with some otherwise under-represented producers, varietals and regions (at least as far as what you typically see in smaller markets). Alex was also a very friendly, knowledgeable, and hospitable host at the Champagne room and the service at the Tiger Bar was excellent too. Highly recommend and we will be back.

1 Like

27-30
El Sib
Tiger Bar
Lola’s
Seaplane
Staying at H2O

Will report
37 years now—she still has not come to her senses.

3 Likes

Lola’s looks good.

In April we dined at

Red Shoe Island Bistro - decent
Tin Roof - pretty good food, abysmal service, expensive
Tiger Bar - very good as advertised. We bought a bottle of their basic nv champagne (don’t recall) and brought a bottle. Had pretty much the whole menu. Waited on by the chef/owner so good context on some of the dishes.

There is a pretty good bottle shop - Key West Fine Wines.

We stayed at The Marker, which was fine - good bed, very nice bath, balcony, but pretty basic otherwise.
Very expensive hotels, but that comes with the territory I guess.

I’ll be at the Marker next week for a friend’s birthday.
Looking to check out
Nine One Five
Latitudes
Azur
Hot Tin Roof

There’s a Jamaican styled food truck at the Chevron station on Stock Island, One Love, that’s quite good too. If you had wheels or want to Uber for lunch or early dinner.

Thnx we’ll have our car.
We might stop for lunch there (right now planning on stopping at No Name).

1 Like

Good call, No Name is always worth the stop. I was tickled to see some of my Sharpie Pen art is still on the walls from when I was a kid. I always order the “Mexican Pizza” not sure if it’s worth suggesting only because I may be biased secondary to nostalgia.

For a nice romantic “special” dinner, I’d recommend sunset key.

Latitudes at Sunset Key.

No complaints about any of the above. All fairly good, nothing that unique. Latitudes and Hot Tin have the goods with stunning sunsets

Wine lists all uninspired.

Healthy drinking debauchery at the dives on Duval.

I would certainly hope so. [cheers.gif]
We’re driving down in the morning.

1 Like

Mon
Lunch at No Name Pub (so fun—highly recommended to folks who have not been there). Waved at the Key Deer eating lawns.
Checked in to H2O suites. We usually stay on upper Duval but really enjoyed the hotel. It is adult only, and features private plunge pools in many suites. The rooftop pool bar features happy hour snacks and drinks for most of the day.
Dinner at El Siboney (love Cuban food). It was slammed, even on a Mon.

Tue
Seaplane to Dry Tortugas—HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The morning flight leaves KW at 8:00 and arrives about 8:30. Only one plane (10 passengers) flew that morning so we mostly had the island to ourselves until the hundreds of ferry boat passengers arrived at 10:30. Snorkeling was decent along the moat wall of the fort. We did the half day excursion so we were back on the plane at 11:00.
Pool time, and then dinner at Tiger Bar—also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. There is a ten item main menu of small plates (world cuisine with Indian and southeast Asian notes?? That’s my take). Small place with a mostly open kitchen with similar appliances to many of our kitchens (Instant Pot, air fryer, immersion circulator, fryer…)

Thu (Happy Anniversary #37 HRH)
Breakfast at Moondog—NOT recommended. Such a funky spot, but the disappearing server messed up my wife’s order. We didn’t see him again until check time. The food was fine, but not good enough to overcome the abysmal service.
Fritters for lunch with a slice of pie from Kermit’s for dessert. Decent but not my fave.
Dinner at Lola’s—also recommended (cash only or Venmo). Small place, with two servers and a tiny kitchen. There are two seatings per night, and no published menu. We had six app choices and six main choices. Their Key Lime Pie is really tart, and one of the best ever.

Another great visit—met some cool people at the hotel.

Scott you are definitely a fresh water conch having eaten at El Siboney!

Next time you shoot down hit up Harpoon Harry’s for the lobster Benedict for breakfast

Yep
Top of the list.
We retire after next year and expect more visits per year (less than 4 hour drive for us).

Congrats Buddy, to you and Pamela! [cheers.gif] to many more years ahead.

1 Like

[cheers.gif]